Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk repair errors

I recently upgraded to Ventura. Since drive read and write seem slow. I decided to do a disk repair from the recovery partition. I got 3 errors of this type in 2 of the snapshots (the last 2):

Error: mismatch between extentref entry reference count (0) and calculated fsroot entry reference count (1) for extent (361019278+4)

Disk repair suggests "Try running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume"

How do I do that?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 5:44 PM

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices". The hidden Container should appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Make sure to manually review the report because the Disk Utility summary results will lie about the results. If First Aid is unable to fix the errors while booted into Recovery Mode (maybe try Internet Recovery Mode), then you will need to erase the drive, reinstall macOS, and restore from a backup. Erasing a drive will destroy all data on it with no way to recover any data unless you have a backup.

If the error is only on a snapshot and not the main volume, then the error should go away once the snapshot is deleted. If the error is on the "update" snapshot, then make sure to run the macOS software update and reboot the Mac which should allow the update to be installed and the "update" snapshot to be deleted.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 5:44 PM in response to bill501

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices". The hidden Container should appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Make sure to manually review the report because the Disk Utility summary results will lie about the results. If First Aid is unable to fix the errors while booted into Recovery Mode (maybe try Internet Recovery Mode), then you will need to erase the drive, reinstall macOS, and restore from a backup. Erasing a drive will destroy all data on it with no way to recover any data unless you have a backup.

If the error is only on a snapshot and not the main volume, then the error should go away once the snapshot is deleted. If the error is on the "update" snapshot, then make sure to run the macOS software update and reboot the Mac which should allow the update to be installed and the "update" snapshot to be deleted.

disk repair errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.