Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 13 wont read SanDisk Extreme PRO SD cards. They dont show on the desktop but do in Disk Etility

OS X 13 wont read SanDisk Extreme PRO SD cards. They don't show on the desktop but do in Disk Utility

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 5:33 PM

Hi Malcolm E C,

For the time being, you may need to change your workflow to format these SD cards to ExFat (and rename them) in the computer instead of the camera. Check with Fuji to see if there are any software or firmware updates needed for the XT 4 to work with macOS Ventura. Check with SanDisk to see if they have any advice for using the SanDisk Extreme PRO SD cards. And finally, keep your macOS up to date as well.

Feel free to reach out to Apple as mentioned earlier if you want to delve into this a little deeper with the folks who work with Photos and other professional applications that use these SD cards.

Take care.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 5:33 PM in response to Malcolm E C

Hi Malcolm E C,

For the time being, you may need to change your workflow to format these SD cards to ExFat (and rename them) in the computer instead of the camera. Check with Fuji to see if there are any software or firmware updates needed for the XT 4 to work with macOS Ventura. Check with SanDisk to see if they have any advice for using the SanDisk Extreme PRO SD cards. And finally, keep your macOS up to date as well.

Feel free to reach out to Apple as mentioned earlier if you want to delve into this a little deeper with the folks who work with Photos and other professional applications that use these SD cards.

Take care.

Nov 13, 2022 4:51 PM in response to Malcolm E C

Hello Malcolm E C,

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Did the SD cards appear on the desktop in the past? If so, did the icon disappear after ejecting the SD cards previously?

2. Did any errors appear before this issue happened? If so, what did the error say?

Those details will help us get a better understanding of the issue.

Please also check out the details on the following page, which outline how to use the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac, and the requirements, which may help: Use the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2022 4:40 PM in response to Malcolm E C

Good afternoon Malcolm E C,

Try this test and let us know the results: Use Disk Utility to format one of your SanDisk Extreme PRO SD cards as ExFat. Then insert it into the Fuji XT 4 and take ten pictures.

Remove the SanDisk card from the camera and insert it into the card reader. Are you able to read the files in Finder?

If not, it might be helpful for you to speak with an AppleCare technical advisor about this issue. Click the link below, choose the phone number for your region from the list, and call when it is convenient.

Contact Apple for support and service

Take care.

Nov 13, 2022 5:24 PM in response to Brittany1416

1 Yes the same SanDisk PRO always work perfectly on my MacBook prior to upgrading to OS X Ventura13.0.1

2 No error messages have appeared, neither has the disk icon for the card on the desktop.

3 The SD cards are formatted on my Fuji XT 4 in the same way as always. I have reformatted, changed cards etc without changing the read problem.

4 The card is visible in the Disk Utility but does not show on the desktop, so the reader is not at fault.

5 SanDisk SD cards of lesser capacity (and older) do work as normal, and are visible on the desktop and in Adobe Lightroom, whereas the Extreme PRO cards now cannot be read.

6 It seems to me that the Ventura upgrade is the only thing that has changed.

Nov 13, 2022 6:35 PM in response to Malcolm E C

Hello Malcolm E C,

Thanks for checking those details.

Since they show up in Disk Utility, please tell us what format the device is in. You can check by clicking on the device, and clicking "Erase" one time.

You will not be erasing the drive, merely looking at the Erase Menu, where it will show the format.

Is it MS Dos, exFAT, or what format exactly?

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2022 10:56 PM in response to Eric--F

I did as you suggested with several cards Disk Utility report Mac OS Extended (Journaled) This is a surprise to me as the cards are initialised in my Fuji XT 4 camera where I use them. I checked the older smaller capacity card with the same result.

Surely Ventura should read a Mac format? So I checked the CD card that does report on the desktop. It has a sub folder where the image files reside and that is formatted MS-DOS (Fat 32) The camera must do this?

The root folder on this (working) card is DCIM (set by the camera?) and the sub folder is MCEC - I must have named it this sometime, that is my initials. It is still showing on the desktop but the bigger capacity PRO SD cards (I have many) still do not work in Ventura.

But wait there is more. I now checked in Utility the sub folder on the PRO SC card. This shows grey in Utility but it's format does reads and is ExFat - different from the smaller CD card. (This card is branded PNY and is 8GB. The PRO cards are 64Gb and 128GB.)

I hope you can sort this out for me. And thank you for your interest

Nov 14, 2022 3:27 PM in response to justinb2603

Thanks Justinb

The problem is that the camera (Fuji XT 4) has to format the SD cards.

OS X 11 etc has always allowed the very same cards to be read in Adobe Lightroom which is what many photographers use with Mac. The new Ventura OS X 13 has changed all this, it just won't allow reading although the disk is there in Disk Utility, the subfolder containing images is greyed out but can still be read as ExFat just as it always has been.

The only change is Ventura. I can seem to get this across to anybody.

I hope that is more clear now.

Nov 14, 2022 4:14 PM in response to justinb2603

Thanks Justinb

The problem is that the camera (Fuji XT 4) has to format the SD cards.

OS X 11 etc has always allowed the very same cards to be read in Adobe Lightroom which is what many photographers use with Mac. The new Ventura OS X 13 has changed all this, it just won't allow reading although the disk is there in Disk Utility, the subfolder containing images is greyed out but can still be read as ExFat just as it always has been.

The only change is Ventura. I cant seem to get this across to anybody.

I hope that is more clear now.

Nov 14, 2022 5:04 PM in response to judysings

OMG that worked! Usually cards must be formatted in camera, its is a safety issue for avoiding faulty cards.

So I took the card a I just made work using your in-computer method and formatted in the Fuji camera. And now it does not read on the desktop. The Master folder is Mac OS extended and the sub folder is ExFat, as before. So the camera did that?

So I did it again - format in Disk Utility both folders are ExFat. Put I into the camera, took photos, Ventura reads the card, Lightroom reads the card. Disk utility says The top folder is Mac Extended and the sub folder is ExFat.

Again Format in camera and again Ventura cant read the card.

Strange? What to do? I have to have clean cards each time I shoot.

OS X 13 wont read SanDisk Extreme PRO SD cards. They dont show on the desktop but do in Disk Etility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.