Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental controls

As I’m trying to set up parental controls on an iPad for my grandson, it seems the controls are not behind a password so he can go in and change them at any time. Access to Screen Time should be behind a password

iPad Air 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 7:30 AM

It is if you set it up correctly.

Set a Screen Time passcode

You can set a passcode so that only you can change Screen Time settings and allow more time when app limits expire. Use this feature to set content and privacy limitations for your child's device. The steps to set up a Screen Time passcode depend on whether you're using Family Sharing.

If you're not using Family Sharing to manage a child account

1. Make sure that you're on the device used by the child.
  2. Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
  3. Tap Turn on Screen Time. 
  4. Tap This is My Child's [device].
  5. Set up DowntimeApp Limits, and Content & Privacy with the limitations that you want for your child, or tap Not Now. 
  6. Tap Use Screen Time Passcode, then enter a passcode when prompted. Re-enter the passcode to confirm. 
  7. Enter your Apple ID and password. This can be used to reset your Screen Time passcode if you forget it.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 7:30 AM in response to rmhomes

It is if you set it up correctly.

Set a Screen Time passcode

You can set a passcode so that only you can change Screen Time settings and allow more time when app limits expire. Use this feature to set content and privacy limitations for your child's device. The steps to set up a Screen Time passcode depend on whether you're using Family Sharing.

If you're not using Family Sharing to manage a child account

1. Make sure that you're on the device used by the child.
  2. Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
  3. Tap Turn on Screen Time. 
  4. Tap This is My Child's [device].
  5. Set up DowntimeApp Limits, and Content & Privacy with the limitations that you want for your child, or tap Not Now. 
  6. Tap Use Screen Time Passcode, then enter a passcode when prompted. Re-enter the passcode to confirm. 
  7. Enter your Apple ID and password. This can be used to reset your Screen Time passcode if you forget it.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Parental controls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.