Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop is Broken? Icons/Folders gone.. can't right click.. can't drop anything onto it

I had a problem arise today with my MBP with macos Ventura 13.0.1.

Today, my desktop simply doesn't work. My mac boots up fine, but my desktop does not load any of my icons/folders that I previously had on it. It looks totally blank, except for the wallpaper. I noticed that I can't right click on the desktop at all either. Additionally, I also can't drag anything onto the desktop to make new icons.

My finder seems to work alright. I still have a desktop folder with all my files and I can access them perfectly fine. However, my desktop is essentially blank and is unusable. I've been searching for a solution all morning and it's driving me mad! I've rebooted my computer a bunch of times and still nothing. I tried to do OS recovery with no use. I honestly didn't do anything out of the ordinary and have no idea why this has happened.

Can ANYONE help?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 3:19 AM

Hello I was facing the same issue and here is the solution.

click on Apple Icon on the top left corner > System Settings.

From the left pane click on Desktop & Dock option and then in the right pane diable the option Stage Manager.

Actually it is a new feature of the Vetura macOS.

Do like if you find it useful.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 3:19 AM in response to sz2273

Hello I was facing the same issue and here is the solution.

click on Apple Icon on the top left corner > System Settings.

From the left pane click on Desktop & Dock option and then in the right pane diable the option Stage Manager.

Actually it is a new feature of the Vetura macOS.

Do like if you find it useful.

Nov 17, 2022 8:07 AM in response to sz2273

Try deleting Finder preferences. Recently I've seen a number of cases of weird Finder behavior, and several have been fixed by doing this.

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Drag the file out of the folder (to the trash or somewhere else; no need to delete it just yet).

Force relaunch the Finder (Command-Option-escape, select Finder, click Relaunch), or logout and back in.

Any changes?

Desktop is Broken? Icons/Folders gone.. can't right click.. can't drop anything onto it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.