Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop is empty, only hard disks, OS 16 on a mac studio

I cannot add folders on the desktop and cannot move the hard disk aliasse.

I can see the aliasse from the desktop via cmd+n, shows me a folder with all aliasses. But the desktop iist blocked, I cannot move the disk which I can see too.

Can anybody pls help? Hotline could not help :-( - 2of3 times when I call they cannot help ...

There should be a special support for long time user.

Thanks

P.S. I bought the Studio in November 2022 and I am still not able to use it w/o problems. During the last days it made a restart, when I logeed in in the morning. And after a restart it does show onla some of the windows that I had opened, e.g. those ma folders with several tabs, that means, a totally apple problem, not other software like excel, were I know that it never opens old sheet.

I could write books about the problems that I have since I change to the studio. I used a mac pro for almost 10 years, but it was too slow in the end.

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 7:59 PM

when all is working properly, The Desktop presentation is your mounted drives (if checkbox is checked) plus the files and folders from:

~/Desktop

(where ~ is an active shorthand for "current user", inside the /Users folder.)

what do you see inside that folder? are you logged in as you, and not as guest or something else?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 7:59 PM in response to confetti

when all is working properly, The Desktop presentation is your mounted drives (if checkbox is checked) plus the files and folders from:

~/Desktop

(where ~ is an active shorthand for "current user", inside the /Users folder.)

what do you see inside that folder? are you logged in as you, and not as guest or something else?

Jan 15, 2023 6:26 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks a lot, you showed me the right road to follow. The desktop on my user name is just an alias, therefore no user rights. It is locked, because we redirected the link to a new folder on my main page. I use the desktop very much and since the main disk (SSD) is much too smal for me, it just hosts the applications, the working data is on an external disk.

Step 1 is solved.

• - - - - - - - - - -

Now a new question,

Step 2: how to redirect the desktop, and also pictures, movies, sites and downloads - in such a way that it will follow even after a restart.

I will start a new Question.

Jan 14, 2023 8:22 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

thanks, that was fast

Everything is fine, I can open folders and see the aliasse. But I cannot put anything on the desktop, and it is empty - except the disk items. I use several external hard disks, this happened after adding another one.

Hope, this helps?

P.S. I find/go to my folders by clicking on the hard disk items or "recent items".

Yes I am logged in with my name and PW, I have another login for my husband, should I try to login with his name to check?

I already restarted, but still the same

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.