Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to export contacts to an excel sheet

I want to export a group of contacts from my Mac to an excel sheet for a remote friend that has a spreadsheet of addresses. Is this possible?

MacBook Pro 15″, 11.7

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 9:23 AM

You can open the Contacts app on your Mac and open the Numbers app, then select all (or any) contacts and drag them from the Contacts window to the Numbers blank spreadsheet. Then use the Numbers File menu to export the spreadsheet to Excel format.

That only works if you use Numbers, not directly to Excel without using Numbers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 9:23 AM in response to john.peterson74

You can open the Contacts app on your Mac and open the Numbers app, then select all (or any) contacts and drag them from the Contacts window to the Numbers blank spreadsheet. Then use the Numbers File menu to export the spreadsheet to Excel format.

That only works if you use Numbers, not directly to Excel without using Numbers.

Nov 13, 2022 7:03 AM in response to john.peterson74

What part didn't work? I just tried and it still works as described.

You can use Automator to create a Tab-delimited file. Excel should be able to import tab-delimited, but you could then use a text editor to change the tabs to commas. Only issue is if any of the fields have commas in them. You would have to enclose those field fully in double-quotes.

1. Start a new Workflow.
  2. Drag in a Get Selected Contacts Item action -- set it to people.
  3. Drag in a Get Contact information action -- set it to "Spreadsheet (tabs)" -- select the information to extract.
  4. Drag in a New TextEdit Document action.

In Contacts select all people in the group to export.

Go back to Automator and run the workflow.

A TextEdit document will open with the data delimited by tabs. Replace the tabs with commas, or do it in Excel in their text import tool.

Is there a way to export contacts to an excel sheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.