Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey update prevents sleep

Having seen news from Intuit that Apple would no longer support security upgrades for Catalina, I upgraded three computers from Catalina to Monterey 12.6.1, a 27" iMac (2015), a 16" MacBook Pro Intel 6-core (2020), and a 13" MacBook Air. All of the computers now fail to sleep. When I close the lid on the 16", I will find that it is warm hours later and the battery is partially discharged. Battery use indicator shows a slow but progressive discharge even with lid closed overnight. Activity Monitor shows that Windowserver (always) and sharingd (sometimes) processes prevent sleep. This is clearly a problem with the update, and it's extremely irritating that most of the advice I find on this site suggests further updating to the latest OS, which in this case would be Ventura (which 2 of the 3 computers won't run). Why are basic functions breaking? I note also that the Touch Bar on the 16" MBPro stopped working under Catalina, but miraculously recovered with Monterey, so it appears that Apple broke that feature in Catalina. Why? In addition, the performance of the MacBook Pro is noticeably slower under Monterey, which is absurd given that it was, when purchased just 3 years ago, a high-specification machine. Operating Finder, it often fails to load all the subfolders when I click on a given folder, and I have to repeat the operation to see all my folders. Really disappointing. Any advice would be welcome on how to fix the sleep problem. I suspect that some setting has changed with the update but I haven't been able to determine which. If someone knows a fix for the Finder file-display problem, I would appreciate that, too. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 12:38 PM

Most people don't see what you are seeing with sleep -- and since you are seeing it on three Macs, I am going to infer from that that you have configured them similarly and possibly that is why they all behave that way.

I suggest you go to Energy Saver (or Battery) preferences and disable the power nap option if it appears, and disable the wake for network access option, if it appears. For the laptops, make sure you check the preferences under the Battery section and also the section for when using the Power Adaptor (power supply), they are separate.

Also, try disabling all Sharing on all Macs to see if that is causing connections to persist and prevent sleep. This is for diagnosis, you may ultimately want to keep sharing enabled. However I have seen under some circumstances that when a connection is made via Sharing, one or both of the Macs may not sleep fully even when instructed to sleep. Also, if removed from the network, the Mac may try to renew the connection, hence using energy resources.

Also be sure to follow A Brody's suggestion previously made.

The fact that your touch bar stopped working under Catalina and/or runs slowly under Catalina are not common and is also indicative of something installed or configured. People tend to set up multiple Macs similarly, so this happening on them together is not surprising. We have thousands of Macs in use at my workplace, most recently updated from Catalina to Big Sur to Monterey, and those performance or touch bar problems you report were not seen. We have an active Slack channel where all issues are reported, I have seen no one reporting what you have reported.

To explore your configuration further, I suggest that you download and run Etrecheck on one of the laptops and also on the iMac and post the outputs here using the Additional text button below. It may show something that is causing your issues. High cloud usage, anti-virus tools, non-Apple security suites, "cleaning" tools, can all cause anomalies in the normal MacOS operation.

Another diagnostic step you can take: boot into Safe Mode

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

and test to see if the sleep issues go away (performance will be more in Safe Mode, so the computer will be sluggish due to accelerators and optimizers being turned off). If they go away, that points to something installed or configured as the root cause.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 12:38 PM in response to Peaeye

Most people don't see what you are seeing with sleep -- and since you are seeing it on three Macs, I am going to infer from that that you have configured them similarly and possibly that is why they all behave that way.

I suggest you go to Energy Saver (or Battery) preferences and disable the power nap option if it appears, and disable the wake for network access option, if it appears. For the laptops, make sure you check the preferences under the Battery section and also the section for when using the Power Adaptor (power supply), they are separate.

Also, try disabling all Sharing on all Macs to see if that is causing connections to persist and prevent sleep. This is for diagnosis, you may ultimately want to keep sharing enabled. However I have seen under some circumstances that when a connection is made via Sharing, one or both of the Macs may not sleep fully even when instructed to sleep. Also, if removed from the network, the Mac may try to renew the connection, hence using energy resources.

Also be sure to follow A Brody's suggestion previously made.

The fact that your touch bar stopped working under Catalina and/or runs slowly under Catalina are not common and is also indicative of something installed or configured. People tend to set up multiple Macs similarly, so this happening on them together is not surprising. We have thousands of Macs in use at my workplace, most recently updated from Catalina to Big Sur to Monterey, and those performance or touch bar problems you report were not seen. We have an active Slack channel where all issues are reported, I have seen no one reporting what you have reported.

To explore your configuration further, I suggest that you download and run Etrecheck on one of the laptops and also on the iMac and post the outputs here using the Additional text button below. It may show something that is causing your issues. High cloud usage, anti-virus tools, non-Apple security suites, "cleaning" tools, can all cause anomalies in the normal MacOS operation.

Another diagnostic step you can take: boot into Safe Mode

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

and test to see if the sleep issues go away (performance will be more in Safe Mode, so the computer will be sluggish due to accelerators and optimizers being turned off). If they go away, that points to something installed or configured as the root cause.

Monterey update prevents sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.