Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400): Unknown App 'Alec Carlson' on Login Items in Settings

I just upgraded to Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400) on my MacBook Pro (16", 2019) and noticed an unknown entry 'Alec Carlson'. Nothing with those words was found when I searched the hard drive. Any idea what this entry could be and where it could be coming from and how to remove it?

Thanks,

Ramki.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 7:02 AM

Paul Conaway is correct. Apple is relatively new to the game of using its own developer signatures. I've been doing this for some time.

The easiest way to find software like this would be to use EtreCheck reports here in Apple Support Community. Just Google something like:

"Alec Carlson" etrecheck

And your one and only hit will be: WHY SO SLUGGISH? - Apple Community

Search for Alec Carlson in the report and you can see that this developer is associated with "com.smithmicro.vzwwirelessd.plist" about ten years ago.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 7:02 AM in response to Ramki

Paul Conaway is correct. Apple is relatively new to the game of using its own developer signatures. I've been doing this for some time.

The easiest way to find software like this would be to use EtreCheck reports here in Apple Support Community. Just Google something like:

"Alec Carlson" etrecheck

And your one and only hit will be: WHY SO SLUGGISH? - Apple Community

Search for Alec Carlson in the report and you can see that this developer is associated with "com.smithmicro.vzwwirelessd.plist" about ten years ago.

Nov 13, 2022 12:48 PM in response to Ramki

Ramki wrote:

Thank you etresoft! Search for "com.smithmicro.vzwwirelessd.plist" on my Mac does not return any results.

Those files are in hidden system directories. You won't be able to find them with a default search. There is a Finder search option to add a "System Files" category and set it to "are included' and that might return the file. Make sure to search just for "smithmicro" and to choose "Filenames > contains". It is a little tricky. You'll have to type "smithmicro" and then wait about half a second. Then a drop-down menu will appear where you can specify that you want to search by file name.

Note that this particular filename was just one result that showed up in one particular EtreCheck report. From other searches I found, Alec Carlson has been a developer for Smith Micro since 2003 at least, if not earlier. So the file on your computer might have a different name.

And I should add that yet another method would be to just download and run EtreCheckPro. <sigh>

Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400): Unknown App 'Alec Carlson' on Login Items in Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.