Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade old iMovie videos that cannot be upgraded or opened?

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 8:30 AM

Good that you were able to open the project file because that indicates that you have the original iMovie 6 app on your Power PC. So that I understand, you clicked on the project icon that looks like this:

And that opened an iMovie 6 project screen that looks like this:

And now you want to know how best to save the project to a movie. Is that correct?

If so, you can export the project to a mov. file on your desktop, or to an external drive, by doing a File/Export/Full Quality/Share of the project. When you open it in QuickTimePlayer it will convert. Then you can transfer the movie to your newer Mac for import into iMovie 10 for further editing, if you wish.

If you want to share as a MPEG-4, you can instead do a File/Export/Expert Settings/Share.Movie to MPEG-4.

Either format would work.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 8:30 AM in response to Julius Hyatt

Good that you were able to open the project file because that indicates that you have the original iMovie 6 app on your Power PC. So that I understand, you clicked on the project icon that looks like this:

And that opened an iMovie 6 project screen that looks like this:

And now you want to know how best to save the project to a movie. Is that correct?

If so, you can export the project to a mov. file on your desktop, or to an external drive, by doing a File/Export/Full Quality/Share of the project. When you open it in QuickTimePlayer it will convert. Then you can transfer the movie to your newer Mac for import into iMovie 10 for further editing, if you wish.

If you want to share as a MPEG-4, you can instead do a File/Export/Expert Settings/Share.Movie to MPEG-4.

Either format would work.

-- Rich

Nov 13, 2022 9:14 AM in response to Julius Hyatt

You were so lucky that you saved your old Power Mac with the iMovie 6 app on it. I did the same thing just to cover situations like you have.

If you had deleted the iMovie 6 app in the past, but still had the project, with a little fiddling you could still access the project movie file from the Show Package Contents of the project. But you don't need to go that route because you kept the iMovie 6 app on your Power Mac.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.