Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I erased my hard drive by accident on my MacBook Air 2017

Hello,

MacBook Air 2017 - I think it originally had Big Sir and then changed to Monterey, or vise visa.

I need some assistance as to how to get my MacBook up and running. I was erasing my hard drive and about to reinstall when it froze. Upon rebooting, I got the circle with a slash through it. Fortunately, I did back up all my files to IDrive before I began.

I was simply trying to get it back to original factory settings?

I do have access to a Mac mini, a newer (2021) iPad and a iPhone, unfortunately no dongle. I live very rural so I can’t just run to the store and get one. Also I am in a cast and pretty must confined to the house. I’m thinking this laptop will just be out of commission until I can get a dongle.

Can anyone suggest a way I might be able to get it back up and running?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 10:33 AM

The "prohibitory sign" is to be expected, since after erasing the Mac it no longer has an operating system. Not a problem, since you already knew you needed to reinstall macOS.

This Apple Support document describes what you need to do next: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support. In the document linked in Step 2, follow the instructions for Intel processor.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 10:33 AM in response to quincyjeff

The "prohibitory sign" is to be expected, since after erasing the Mac it no longer has an operating system. Not a problem, since you already knew you needed to reinstall macOS.

This Apple Support document describes what you need to do next: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support. In the document linked in Step 2, follow the instructions for Intel processor.

I erased my hard drive by accident on my MacBook Air 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.