Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS 16.1 no option for fixed position for the volume buttons

Hi. I have iPadOS 16.1 but I can't find the "Fixed Position" option in the settings. Has it moved elsewhere? Please tell me, this auto-switching is really annoying, don't know where to press when I want to change volume. Thanks

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 12:58 PM

Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. While this feature could be enable or disabled for existing models of iPad, for reasons known only to Apple, the ability to configure this feature is not available for the iPad Air5 and iPad mini6.

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

For new models of iPad launched to market after release of iPadOS 15.4 (i.e., the Air5 and mini6), this feature appears to be a fundamental element of User Interface (UI) - with no ability to disable the dynamic controls. The 2022 11” and 12.9” iPads Pro and the iPad10, also released since introduction of this feature, also appear to be unable to disable this feature.

Apple have not updated their documentation to indicate that the 2022 iPads Pro and/or iPad10 are similar in implementation within the iPad Air5 and mini6. Hopefully Apple’s documentation will provide needed clarity in due course.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 12:58 PM in response to w3br

Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. While this feature could be enable or disabled for existing models of iPad, for reasons known only to Apple, the ability to configure this feature is not available for the iPad Air5 and iPad mini6.

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

For new models of iPad launched to market after release of iPadOS 15.4 (i.e., the Air5 and mini6), this feature appears to be a fundamental element of User Interface (UI) - with no ability to disable the dynamic controls. The 2022 11” and 12.9” iPads Pro and the iPad10, also released since introduction of this feature, also appear to be unable to disable this feature.

Apple have not updated their documentation to indicate that the 2022 iPads Pro and/or iPad10 are similar in implementation within the iPad Air5 and mini6. Hopefully Apple’s documentation will provide needed clarity in due course.

iPadOS 16.1 no option for fixed position for the volume buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.