Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Time Capsule/Time Machine

I have an old Time Capsule (square and flat) that I don't use as WiFi Access Point anymore and want to use it purely as a backup disk for my MacBook Air. Can I connect the TC to my Macbook Air with a Lan (TC) to USB MacBook) adaptor?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 12:02 PM

Can I connect the TC to my Macbook Air with a Lan (TC) to USB MacBook) adaptor?

Can you? Yes

Will it work? Different answer. For example, say your MacBook Air is connecting to your Wi-Fi network (it likely is). The Time Capsule will be connected over Ethernet (Thunderbolt), so you will have to Turn Off Wi-Fi on the Mac when you connect to the Time Capsule to back up, then when the back up has completed, you will have to turn the Wi-Fi back on so the Mac will reconnect to your Wi-Fi router.

So yes, it will "work" sort of, but most users would find this way too cumbersome to use on a regular basis.

The correct setup would have your Time Capsule connecting to your Wi-Fi router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. Then, you can select your normal Wi-Fi network that the Mac is using and back up over that Wi-Fi connection to the Time Capsule without having to "change connections" to back up.

In other words, you won't be using the Time Capsule Wi-Fi, so you could turn off the Wi-Fi function on the Time Capsule if you wish.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 12:02 PM in response to pnaude

Can I connect the TC to my Macbook Air with a Lan (TC) to USB MacBook) adaptor?

Can you? Yes

Will it work? Different answer. For example, say your MacBook Air is connecting to your Wi-Fi network (it likely is). The Time Capsule will be connected over Ethernet (Thunderbolt), so you will have to Turn Off Wi-Fi on the Mac when you connect to the Time Capsule to back up, then when the back up has completed, you will have to turn the Wi-Fi back on so the Mac will reconnect to your Wi-Fi router.

So yes, it will "work" sort of, but most users would find this way too cumbersome to use on a regular basis.

The correct setup would have your Time Capsule connecting to your Wi-Fi router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. Then, you can select your normal Wi-Fi network that the Mac is using and back up over that Wi-Fi connection to the Time Capsule without having to "change connections" to back up.

In other words, you won't be using the Time Capsule Wi-Fi, so you could turn off the Wi-Fi function on the Time Capsule if you wish.

Old Time Capsule/Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.