Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Ventura: Repairing Library... Photos (Not Responding)

Hello,

Photos could no longer open my Photos Library (about 170 GB on external SSD).

I launched the repair process: The Photos windows mentions "Repairing Library..." and the Progress indicator quickly displayed "100% complete", but the rainbow circle is still rolling.

Cmd-Option-Esc shows Photos (Not Responding) but the Activity Monitor shows slow updates.

It has been "running" for 4 full days now.

Is it possible that it is so long? Should I wait? or perform a force quit on Photos App?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 11:30 AM

Repairing takes a few minutes, but I'd be worried after 15!

Try these things-- they are the usual things we try first:

1. Restart the computer (of course)
  2. Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers): Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 
  3. Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  4. Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 11:30 AM in response to Karakal

Repairing takes a few minutes, but I'd be worried after 15!

Try these things-- they are the usual things we try first:

1. Restart the computer (of course)
  2. Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers): Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 
  3. Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  4. Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it

Nov 15, 2022 2:19 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thank you for your help!

1- I requested a Restart

2- As Photos would not close, I accept the Force Quit.

3- I launched Photos

4- The Photos windows mentioned "Updating Library..." (no more Repairing Library...) and a progress indicator.

It lasted more than 15mn, but less that 30mn (I was not in front of my laptop meanwhile) and the positive point is that Photos is now able to open my library

macOS Ventura: Repairing Library... Photos (Not Responding)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.