Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy images from Photos app as .heic file

So I copying images from the Photos app to a separate folder in Finder. On any macbook the default image format is .heic

I then tried to insert the .heic image into a document on Google Docs, but this did not work (unsupported file type). So I searched for a solution to convert .heic to jpg or png, and I found this article: https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-convert-images-mac-quick-action/

While this worked and successfully converted my .heic image to .jpeg, I'm now facing the issue that every single image I copy and paste from the Photos app automatically gets converted to .jpeg and no longer .heic

This is really annoying, furthermore, the .jpeg is in terrible image quality. So I no longer have to option to copy the original file form the Photos app.

Has anyone faced the same problem and has found a solution to undo this "automatic file type conversion", when copy pasting images from the Photos app?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 11:23 AM

When you say "copying images from the Photos app" it's not clear what you mean. Are you using Export? If you want the original image file, choose File>Export>Export Unmodified Original. It will be HEIC if the original was. If you want the edited version, choose File>Export>Export Photo. You can choose among file types, and for jpg you can choose the quality of the compression. Really, at Maximum quality, blowups don't show much if any difference between the original and the jpg.

Other methods of copying images out of Photos aren't really supported and are not dependable. I do sometimes drag pictures out of Photos, for instance, but I always check them and don't expect the best results.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 11:23 AM in response to JiiB

When you say "copying images from the Photos app" it's not clear what you mean. Are you using Export? If you want the original image file, choose File>Export>Export Unmodified Original. It will be HEIC if the original was. If you want the edited version, choose File>Export>Export Photo. You can choose among file types, and for jpg you can choose the quality of the compression. Really, at Maximum quality, blowups don't show much if any difference between the original and the jpg.

Other methods of copying images out of Photos aren't really supported and are not dependable. I do sometimes drag pictures out of Photos, for instance, but I always check them and don't expect the best results.

Nov 14, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

I simply select an image in the Photos app, press cmd+c and paste it in a new folder. On my personal macbook, the image is in .heic format. On my macbook from work, it the image is in .jpeg format (but only after I justed the "quick action" to convert heic to jpg.

So this must have changed some default settings in macOS, but I can't find them anywhere...

Copy images from Photos app as .heic file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.