Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

HEIC to JPG and then back to the Photos app

I have read previous questions about converting to JPG from HEIC, but once I've done that I am struggling to get the new JPG picture back to my Mac air photos app ( where it started). when I try and save the new JPG format it takes me to file finder and the documents option. I click to applications, but the photos option is greyed out. How do I get the photo back there rather than just stored as a document? Thanks

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 9:05 AM

Beauts wrote:

Iwhen I try and save the new JPG format it takes me to file finder and the documents option.

What do you mean by the documents option?

If you want to convert an HEIC photo to a JPG just select it and export as follows:

Select the destination as the Desktop and the JPEG quality that you need. Then drag the jpg onto the Photos icon in the Dock to get it back into the library.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 9:05 AM in response to Beauts

Beauts wrote:

Iwhen I try and save the new JPG format it takes me to file finder and the documents option.

What do you mean by the documents option?

If you want to convert an HEIC photo to a JPG just select it and export as follows:

Select the destination as the Desktop and the JPEG quality that you need. Then drag the jpg onto the Photos icon in the Dock to get it back into the library.

Aug 18, 2023 6:15 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your reply, foolishly I never thought about dragging it to the photos app on the doc, that has worked thanks. I have a question though, I cant see on your screenshot where I can choose destination, can you show me please?

When I say it's saving it in documents I mean here: in this finder menu.

HEIC to JPG and then back to the Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.