Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from obsolete iPad 2

I have ten years old photos on my iPad 2 . They don’t seem to be able to reach the iCloud ! I want to transfer these photos to my iPhone 7 Plus before getting rid of my iPad 2 ! How do I go about it ? Thanks you .

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 9:36 AM

Is iCloud Photos turned on in Settings->iCloud on the iPad?

Otherwise, you can try Airdrop form the iPad to the iPhone: link-> How to use AirDrop on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you have a computer (Mac or PC) with iTunes / Finder you can use that to transfer them out of the iPad and onto the iPhone.

Step 1: link-> Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Step 2: link-> Sync your photos manually using the Finder - Apple Support

link-> Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 9:36 AM in response to cb95

Is iCloud Photos turned on in Settings->iCloud on the iPad?

Otherwise, you can try Airdrop form the iPad to the iPhone: link-> How to use AirDrop on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you have a computer (Mac or PC) with iTunes / Finder you can use that to transfer them out of the iPad and onto the iPhone.

Step 1: link-> Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Step 2: link-> Sync your photos manually using the Finder - Apple Support

link-> Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Nov 15, 2022 4:03 PM in response to Phil0124

Quoting directly from Apple… albeit from the iPhone User Guide:

Use AirDrop on iPhone to send items to nearby devices

With AirDrop, you can wirelessly send your photos, videos, websites, locations, and more to other nearby devices and Mac computers (iOS 7, iPadOS 13, OS X 10.10, or later required). AirDrop transfers information using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth—both must be turned on. To use AirDrop, you need to be signed in with your Apple ID. Transfers are encrypted for security.

Use AirDrop on iPhone to send items to nearby devices – Apple Support (UK)

Nov 15, 2022 12:30 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you for the suggestions.

However there is no Airdrop on my IPad 2 .

yes , iCloud is turned on on both appliances but the iPad is rejecting my password.

I tried to sync the iPad to my MacBook Air with a cable without luck ! although it looks as if they are communicating, I can’t find the photos on the MacBook Air .

My problem is I have about 6000 photos in The Cloud which I can see on the MacBook, iPhone , iPad 5 .

A lot (not all because of lack of storage ) of these photos are also on the iPad 2 . But I have also about 500 earlier photos on the iPad 2 which I would like to transfer to the iCloud .

Nov 15, 2022 1:03 PM in response to MichelPM

@MichelPM: Really? AirDrop was released with iOS 7, I thought the iPad 2 had it.

Now that I think about it, maybe it didn't work with Macs then. Been a while can't remember for certain.

If the iPad is being detected, on the Mac, open the Image Capture app, and it should let you import all the photos as long as they were taken or created on the iPad. If they were synced before from a different computer, those cannot be copied back directly.

You would need a 3rd party application for to get them off the iPad in that case. iExplorer is a pretty good app for this. Link-> https://macroplant.com/iexplorer

Nov 15, 2022 4:22 PM in response to LotusPilot

AirDrop NOT part of iPad.

No AirDrop option in iOS 9.3.5 on 2011 iPad 2, running iOS 9.3.5.

NO Airdrop feature/option under the Photos app Share icon.

None.

I am almost sure at that time, AirDrop was both an iPhone and Mac feature, but this feature was yet to come to the iPad.

Maybe it was part of iOS 10 for iPad, but is no where to be found on either my iPad 2 or 3 models running iOS 9.3.5.

Sorry.

Transferring photos from obsolete iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.