Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Messages are disappearing after one text

I factory reset my iPhone 12 Pro Max and gave it to my girlfriend. When I text that phone now from my new iPhone the text message does appear in the Messages app but when I send a second text the previous message disappears. We are both texting from and to our icloud addresses (ie: blue, not green). She has no history of messages, so if I send 5 messages and she hasn't opened them, she only sees the last one I sent. I can't find any help articles about this problem. This does not happen for any other texts she gets from other people. I am not having any problems on my end. Any ideas?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 5:48 PM

6 replies

Nov 16, 2022 1:46 PM in response to SailorBill

Hi SailorBill,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We’ll need some additional information to provide more specific support.

You mentioned you both are texting to and from your Apple ID email address. Do you share the same Apple ID / iCloud email? If so, this may cause some issues with sending and receiving messages to each other. To resolve this, one of you should create a new Apple. This process is explained below:

1. "Open the App Store and tap the sign-in button .
  2. Tap Create New Apple ID. If you don't see this option, make sure that you're signed out of iCloud.

Create an Apple ID in the App Store on iPhone

3. Follow the onscreen steps to provide an email address, create a strong password, and set your device region. The email address that you provide will be your new Apple ID.*

4. Enter your credit card and billing information, then tap Next. You can also choose None. Learn what to do if None isn't showing or you can't select it. You won't be charged until you make a purchase. 

5. Confirm your phone number. This can help to verify your identity and recover your account if needed. Tap Next.

6. Check your email for a verification email from Apple and verify your email address.

After you verify your email address, you can use your Apple ID to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, and other Apple services such as iCloud."

This information is from How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support.

Has your girlfriend powered off the iPhone and restarted? Sometimes this can help resolve these types of issues with message conversations. To complete this step, please follow this:

"1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.

The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo."

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Take care.

Nov 30, 2022 9:58 AM in response to SailorBill

Hi SailorBill,

To address this behavior, go to Settings > Messages and turn Messages off and back on. Have your girlfriend delete your contact card from Contacts and add it back. If it hasn't been done, update iPhone to the latest software to ensure performance enhancements have been added.

Delete a contact
When you delete a contact, it permanently deletes it from your device. If you delete a contact from your email account, you also permanently delete the contact from all devices signed into that email account.

1. To delete a contact:
Open Contacts and tap the contact that you want to delete.
2. Tap Edit.
3. Scroll Down and tap Delete Contact then tap Delete Contact again to confirm.

Find these and additional details in Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone or iPad.

Contact Apple Support if this behavior is ongoing.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Regards.

Nov 30, 2022 9:16 AM in response to 1ssmith

Thanks for the reply! I think I've figured out the problem but I still don't know how to solve it.

She has her own Apple ID and not connected to my account in any way.

To recap: On her phone, only one text message from me displays (This only is happening with Messages from me that are not loading, everything works fine from anyone else). A new message that I send bumps the old one off of the screen.

There is a spinning wheel icon at the top of the screen suggesting that old messages are trying to load but they never do, no matter how long the phone is on and connected to fast WiFi.

However... On her new MacBook Pro, all of the Messages, both new and old, sent from me are stored and display correctly. She has not deleted any of our texts since March 2022. There are a lot of images in the old messages.

I'm thinking that her new phone is just not syncing for some reason because the size of the Message archive is too large and filled with photos.

Dec 6, 2022 5:16 AM in response to SailorBill

Success! On Friday, Dec 2. her message history began showing on the iPhone 12. She never did delete my contact card and restart the device. I guess the history was so large it just took days and days to load which is odd since she has fast broadband at home. Anyway, thank you and thanks to everyone else who weighed in on this. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Text Messages are disappearing after one text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.