Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2020 kernel panic , cant not even boot internet recovery

My MBP 16" 2020 intel with t2 security chip has started facing a very strange issue. There was an update in September'22 after which this started happening.

Initially, the problem started with mac crashing in 240 seconds with a Kernel Panic error. The logs specified a message "dfrg ping timed out".

Now to correct this, I ran the Disk utility and there were no errors reported in the HDD.

Did the PRAM , SMC resets but nothing seemed to work.

The crashing was happening even in the Safe boot mode.

Then I logged into internet recovery and formatted the HDD (big mistake). Now, I am unable to boot mac even in the Internet recovery mode, it just crashes out in couple of minutes of starting.

After which, I gave my mac to the Apple service center and they told me this seems like a software issue and they needed some softwares from their main branch.

The mac was behaving the same way, it was crashing out after couple of minutes. My mac was with the service center for 1 month and 1 week, during that time the issue remained and there was no progress made.

At the end the service center tells me this is a logic board issue and they need to replace it.

Since my mac is out of warranty I do not believe the center has done its job correctly and I brought my mac back.

One observation I have is that the touch bar is not displaying anything and the initial kernel panics reporting a drfg service timeout also indications issue with the touch bar.

Has anyone faced similar issue with their MBP ?

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 5:12 PM

The best you can do is to "Restore" the firmware to reset the T2 security chip as well as pushing a clean OS onto the internal SSD. This does require access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Otherwise, the Logic Board probably needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind there are only three major parts to this laptop: Logic Board, Display Assembly, and Top Case Assembly. Each of these major parts has integrated what used to be several smaller individual parts. The remaining parts are I/O Boards (aka USB-C ports), Fans, and WiFi Antenna. The Logic Board integrates CPU, GPU, SSD, Memory, WiFi.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 5:12 PM in response to riyo8

The best you can do is to "Restore" the firmware to reset the T2 security chip as well as pushing a clean OS onto the internal SSD. This does require access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Otherwise, the Logic Board probably needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind there are only three major parts to this laptop: Logic Board, Display Assembly, and Top Case Assembly. Each of these major parts has integrated what used to be several smaller individual parts. The remaining parts are I/O Boards (aka USB-C ports), Fans, and WiFi Antenna. The Logic Board integrates CPU, GPU, SSD, Memory, WiFi.

MBP 2020 kernel panic , cant not even boot internet recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.