Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My iPhone keeps trying to connect to the audio for my Mac (to be it's audio source) and I want to turn that off -- what can I do? This only started happening since the new update.

Since the new update my iPhone keeps trying to connect to my Mac as it's audio source... Can't figure out how to turn it off. Anyone know how?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 2:35 PM

I found the answer in another similar thread - you just do this:

Remove the Continuity Camera feature: on iPhone to go General > AirPlay & Handoff > deselect Continuity Camera

Similar questions

30 replies

Dec 15, 2022 8:35 AM in response to Stevi_S

This alert is mind-boggling frustrating!

Anytime my phone is near my Macbook Air or iMac this alert pops up on my phone, sometimes in 10-second intervals, sometimes longer, but it pops up at least 200 times a day. I can no longer work with my phone anywhere near me.

When I try to click on disconnect the whole phone just blips and goes back to my home screen (even if I was in another app). And then 10 seconds later the alert is back up with a ding.

I can't find where this setting actually lives so my one chance is just hoping that one day that 'Disconnect' button will actually work. Maybe if I press it for the 1 thousand and 999th try.

Jan 6, 2023 4:52 AM in response to vic_toe

I figured out how to disconnect. Go to System Settings->Sound->Output & Input. Select Input, and your iPhone should show up as an input source. Select your iPhone and the Connect screen will pop up on your phone and stay, allowing you to hit the Disconnect button. Once you do that the option for your phone will disappear from the sound input list and have to be reconnected by connecting your phone to your computer via cable.

Dec 10, 2023 8:56 AM in response to vic_toe

If your devices are linked together with iCloud the option above may not work effectively. On your Mac go to System Preferences > General > AirDrop & Handoff > click on the toggle to disable "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices" and turn it off.

This has been the most effective for my personal MacBook Air as I was having this issue on both laptops for work and personal. My MacBook Air(work) isn't linked to my iCloud so the the first method worked best and on my MacBook Air(personal) the method above worked best. I haven't had any issues since doing this on either device.

Nov 17, 2022 10:26 AM in response to vic_toe

Hi vic_toe,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Are you seeing your Mac as an option on incoming calls? If so, you can turn that off with these steps:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings  > Cellular.
2. If your iPhone has Dual SIM, choose a line (below SIMs).
3. Do any of the following:
Tap Calls on Other Devices, turn on Allow Calls on Other Devices, then choose the devices on which you’d like to make and receive calls.
This allows other devices where you’re signed in with the same Apple ID to make and receive calls when they’re nearby your iPhone and connected to Wi-Fi.
Tap Wi-Fi Calling, then turn on Add Wi-Fi Calling For Other Devices.
This allows other devices where you’re signed in with the same Apple ID to make and receive calls even when your iPhone isn’t nearby.
4. On your other devices, do the following:
On your iPad or iPod touch: Go to Settings > FaceTime, then turn on FaceTime and Calls from iPhone. If you’re asked, turn on Wi-Fi Calling.
On your Mac: Open FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences > Settings, then select Calls from iPhone. If an Upgrade to Wi-Fi Calling button appears, click it, then follow the instructions.

See more about that here: Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support

If you're seeing this happening at other times, let us know more about how your device is trying to connect and what you see on screen. We'll go from there.

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2023 10:17 AM in response to vic_toe

Okay, I tried all the work arounds on this page thus far and my settings and audio screen is not the same as theirs so they wont work for me. I have a 14 and bought it in October 2022, IOS 16.3.1.

I facetimed a friend from my phone but he didn't answer. Then I facetimed him from my macbook pro and this time he answered. I tried to make the annoying notification come on by doing a live view of a ring camera from my macbook pro. The notification did not pop up. After I hung up from facetime, I tried it again and the notification did not pop up. I logged into this forum which asked for my icloud id and password and it gave me a notification that I was logging into icloud from a new device. I rebooted my phone to reset anything that might reset and tried it again. I closed out of ring, opened ring, and the notification started back with it's annoying Connect to MacBook Pro message.....SO ANNOYING!! But it is all tied to facetime somehow. This time when I clicked DISCONNECT, it actually disconnected. I quit ring and relaunched ring, opened a camera view and the annoying message did NOT appear. Let's hope it is fixed.

If I reboot my phone I will get notification again but when I click on Disconnect, it does. I would rather it stop asking me even once.

Nov 10, 2023 5:12 AM in response to sandman1349

Omg! I think this has worked. I can’t tell you how flipping frustrating this has been since I bought my new computer. Every time I go on GarageBand, every time I switch the thing on, the phone won’t stop bleeping at me. I cannot thank you enough. I’m hoping I’ve done it the right way now.

Thank Goodness for that, because I’ve got a gig at the weekend and I don’t want the flipping phone going off whilst I’m working! Thank you so so so so much. !!!

My iPhone keeps trying to connect to the audio for my Mac (to be it's audio source) and I want to turn that off -- what can I do? This only started happening since the new update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.