Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else not seeing the emergency sos via satellite option on iPhone 14?

Am I the only US iPhone 14 user whose iPhone isn’t displaying the emergency SOS via satellite option in the emergency SOS settings?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:33 AM

Same here. Using iOS 16.1.1, no further software updates are available. Have powered-off my iPhone 14 Pro Max but there is still no indication on the Emergency SOS setting page that satellite connectivity is available. Screenshot below:

11 replies

Nov 16, 2022 1:39 AM in response to electricb03

This article may help you understand this.--> Use Emergency SOS via satellite on your iPhone 14 - Apple Support (IN)

An extract..

"When you use a satellite connection, the experience is different than sending or receiving a message via cellular. In ideal conditions with a direct view of the sky and the horizon, a message might take 15 seconds to send, and over a minute to send under trees with light or medium foliage. If you're under heavy foliage or surrounded by other obstructions, you might not be able to connect to a satellite. Connection times can also be impacted by your surroundings, the length of your message, and the status and availability of the satellite network."

Nov 23, 2022 4:49 AM in response to RonMexico

I actually was contacted by Apple Support after I posted about this issue (see above) and they wanted to help, so we had a chat and the first rep needed to get a supervisor involved. The supervisor and I were on the phone for about 20-30 minutes working through this issue - she even took control of my iPhone remotely (with my permission, of course) to try and solve this problem. It ended up with her telling me I had to wait for iOS 16.2 release to solve the problem! Good to know there may be an alternative, drastic as it may be. Thanks, RonMexico! I may try that!

Nov 27, 2022 12:46 PM in response to E. Kennedy

RE: RonMexico - I tried your suggestion - spent over 1/2 hour backing-up and restoring my iPhone, but still no satellite option in Emergency SOS. I then went on a trip for Thanksgiving holiday, passing through areas with no cell service, and still no satellite until the day after I came home and then it appeared! I don't know how Apple determines who gets this on their iPhones and when they get it, but if they tell everyone that an upgrade like this is available, everyone should be able to get it at the same time, just like everyone is able to get an updated iOS version at the same time, if they choose to, IMHO.

Is anyone else not seeing the emergency sos via satellite option on iPhone 14?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.