Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding travel cards to wallet

Good morning,

We travel. We have transit cards for different cities and countries. We have credit cards in our phone wallets.

Why can’t we add these transit cards to the wallet for Express use ? It’s ridiculous that just because our country doesn’t use « tap in/tap out », we shouldn’t be able to in a country that does.

Does anyone else have the same problem and find a workaround ? Did changing the region cause any undesirable side effects ?

TIA

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 10:54 PM

There are very few transport cards available to be added to the Wallet app. There are getting on for thirty in China; two in Japan, and three in the US: Clipper (San Francisco), SmarTrip (Washington DC), and TAP (Los Angeles).

Apple Pay is an option in many other regions and you can see the list Apple maintains at Where you can travel on public transport using Apple Pay.

Some transport authorities have apps you can download from the iOS app store and use certain functionalities.

Additionally, many transport authorities have a facility to add credit to your physical transport card without the ability to use an iPhone itself for travel. My own transport network is one of these; I can top up my card by touching it and my debit card to the phone but I must use my transport card at the faregate.

In all cases it is the transport authorities who determine what can and cannot be done.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 10:54 PM in response to Hilary Bowers

There are very few transport cards available to be added to the Wallet app. There are getting on for thirty in China; two in Japan, and three in the US: Clipper (San Francisco), SmarTrip (Washington DC), and TAP (Los Angeles).

Apple Pay is an option in many other regions and you can see the list Apple maintains at Where you can travel on public transport using Apple Pay.

Some transport authorities have apps you can download from the iOS app store and use certain functionalities.

Additionally, many transport authorities have a facility to add credit to your physical transport card without the ability to use an iPhone itself for travel. My own transport network is one of these; I can top up my card by touching it and my debit card to the phone but I must use my transport card at the faregate.

In all cases it is the transport authorities who determine what can and cannot be done.

Adding travel cards to wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.