Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my recovery key if I don’t use Apple ID it was assigned to originally?

I can’t connect new Apple ID to iCloud because I don’t have recovery key. It’s attached to old Apple ID. How do I get recovery key? I’m on iPhone 13 Pro max

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 11:07 PM

With Activation Lock set, this iPhone is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen iPhone, if not actually a lost or stolen iPhone.

You cannot re-create an existing Apple ID.

This iPhone will never be useful to you without the password for the Apple ID associated with Activation Lock, or without the recovery key if that was set on the Apple ID.

Nothing else you can do will clear this. You need that password, or that recovery key, or original proof of purchase.

Return to the seller for a refund, or present original proof of purchase to Apple, or recycle.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 11:07 PM in response to grandma6122

With Activation Lock set, this iPhone is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen iPhone, if not actually a lost or stolen iPhone.

You cannot re-create an existing Apple ID.

This iPhone will never be useful to you without the password for the Apple ID associated with Activation Lock, or without the recovery key if that was set on the Apple ID.

Nothing else you can do will clear this. You need that password, or that recovery key, or original proof of purchase.

Return to the seller for a refund, or present original proof of purchase to Apple, or recycle.

Nov 15, 2022 9:59 PM in response to grandma6122

Recovery keys are specific to an Apple ID.

If the Apple ID was configured fir a recovery key and you do not have that recovery key, the Apple ID is and will remain unrecoverable and inaccessible.

If this is Activation Lock, you need that password (or recovery key), or proof of original purchase showing serial number, or sufficient legal paperwork to convince Apple of your ownership. Otherwise, the locked iPhone will remain inaccessible.

Nov 15, 2022 10:08 PM in response to grandma6122

I have recovered the old ID and password and have tried to add to phone however it won’t let me. It tells me it’s invalid, this email is not available please choose another email. I spoke with apple. They said they still have it as active id. Yet I’d after that one they don’t show. And they can’t delete it due to iPhone not paid for. Now y can’t they put pmts on new id and fix this mess?

Nov 15, 2022 11:31 PM in response to MrHoffman

Ii I have all of that information. The phone is still under factory warranty and they won’t replace it!! I’ve been dealing with this issue and apple for months. I only have a few days left on warranty. Now they want me to take it to Best Buy to get it checked out. They said I needed to replace it $600 & something when they thought warranty was out. I proved it was covered by apple+. Then they said,”well, let’s see if there’s anything wrong first!!” OMG!!!!! I’ve been with Apple & AT&T over 40 yrs. Had enough. Fixing to find someone else!!!identity thieves hacked phone and AT&T account! Neither company will help fix the situation!! Both just make it worse!

Nov 15, 2022 11:45 PM in response to grandma6122

This iPhone is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen iPhone, so no, nobody here can help, and Apple won’t help bypass the theft prevention. You need the password to the Apple ID, the recovery key, or proof of original purchase. How this situation also includes a recovery key, repairs, AppleCare+ coverage or not, or device replacement and the rest is unclear to me.

Nov 16, 2022 12:09 AM in response to MrHoffman

I have the password to the Apple ID but when I try to add it to the phone it won’t let me it says it’s invalid. That it already used. Apple never deactivated it. It’s still being used and attached to phone. I’ve shown them original receipt, the box it came in..everything!! I can’t add original ID back to phone because Apple hasn’t deleted it. If they would delete it like one after it I could add back to phone and recover the key!!! Then just delete it and add new id back and delete old original one

How do I get my recovery key if I don’t use Apple ID it was assigned to originally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.