Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Something went wrong" YouTube App Crashing

So I am getting this error in the YouTube app very frequently. Been happening since the last iOS update. It happens in the YouTube kids app as well. The only way I’ve gotten it to work as normal is to reboot my phone. I’m still able to scroll through and see all the videos being suggested etc but any video that I try to play has this error. Anyone else experiencing it?

iPhone 12 pro

ios 16.1.1

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, 16

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 11:23 PM

This has been reported in many places for weeks. What I've gathered so far is:

• This happens after update to iOS 16.1 (and then iOS 16.1.1 also)
  • There are inconsistency as some video does play. (To me it seems like ones with ad is the one that doesn't play.)
  • This affects many streaming services including YouTube app, Netflix app and Amazon Prime app.
  • Since it's affecting multiple different 3rd party app, it's speculated that this is a bug on iOS rather than apps.
  • It's reported that reboot or resetting network configuration will solve the problem, although only temporarily.

This is posted on Apple's developer community, and it seems like YouTube's team recognized this from how it seems on google's support thread. I don't exactly know how to contribute to solve this problem but I guess we have to wait or revert to pre-16.1 versions from backups to mitigate the issue for the time being.

If you need to watch YouTube video without least effort, you can use visit youtube from browser and it plays fine.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2022 11:23 PM in response to Yao_ming23

This has been reported in many places for weeks. What I've gathered so far is:

• This happens after update to iOS 16.1 (and then iOS 16.1.1 also)
  • There are inconsistency as some video does play. (To me it seems like ones with ad is the one that doesn't play.)
  • This affects many streaming services including YouTube app, Netflix app and Amazon Prime app.
  • Since it's affecting multiple different 3rd party app, it's speculated that this is a bug on iOS rather than apps.
  • It's reported that reboot or resetting network configuration will solve the problem, although only temporarily.

This is posted on Apple's developer community, and it seems like YouTube's team recognized this from how it seems on google's support thread. I don't exactly know how to contribute to solve this problem but I guess we have to wait or revert to pre-16.1 versions from backups to mitigate the issue for the time being.

If you need to watch YouTube video without least effort, you can use visit youtube from browser and it plays fine.

"Something went wrong" YouTube App Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.