Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi assist for poor cell coverage

My home is constructed with material that blocks cell signals - normally we see 1 bar or no service inside the house.

Is there a setting that will cause the iPhone ( 8 Plus + 11, both IOS v 15.7) to switch to wifi from cell when I enter the house?

Alternatively, is there a setting that will set the iPhone communication priority to always use wifi unless it is not available?

Thanks,

<DJL>

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 8:54 AM

When you come into your home, your phone should automatically connect to your home wi-fi. While that is more for data than anything else, if your carrier supports wi-fi calling, you can turn that on to activate it and when you come into the home your cell calls would be wi-fi. See this Apple Support document. Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2022 8:54 AM in response to Djlind

When you come into your home, your phone should automatically connect to your home wi-fi. While that is more for data than anything else, if your carrier supports wi-fi calling, you can turn that on to activate it and when you come into the home your cell calls would be wi-fi. See this Apple Support document. Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2022 9:27 AM in response to Djlind

If your carrier supports wi-fi calling and you have that turned on, then when you are connected to wi-fi, your calls will be via wi-fi. Your iPhone should always automatically connect to your home wi-fi when you get into range. Wi-fi is priority on the phone when you are in an area covered by wi-fi and you have joined that network. So for at home since you should be connected to your wi-fi at home, when you get home, your phone should automatically connect to your wi-fi and your calls would be handled via wi-fi.

Nov 16, 2022 9:50 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you. One last question. If the phone is in airplane mode and I make a call, the status bar will display that it is using wifi. If both cell service and wifi are active on the phone and I make a call, the status bar does NOT indicate wifi is in use even though the call is being handled by the wifi connection. Is this to be expected?

Wifi assist for poor cell coverage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.