Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching in Mail and Spotlight

I can not search for emails in Mail after updating to Ventura. Also, I can not search using Spotlight. Are they related? What are the fix(es)? I type a word in the search field and nothing happens.

Here is what I have tried so far: I went to System Preferences --> Siri & Spotlight --> Spotlight Privacy (button) --> added the entire Hard Drive, quit system preferences, then opened and removed the HD from the Spotlight Privacy, quit system preferences. Still seems to not be working, nor reindexing to fix it.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 11:48 AM

I can not search for emails in Mail after updating to Ventura. Also, I can not search using Spotlight. Are they related? What are the fix(es)? I type a word in the search field and nothing happens.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. I went to System Preferences --> Siri & Spotlight --> Spotlight Privacy (button) --> added the entire Hard Drive, quit system preferences, then opened and removed the HD from the Spotlight Privacy, quit system preferences. Still seems to not be working, nor reindexing to fix it.
  2. Typed in terminal to make sure search is enabled:  sudo mdutil -i on /
  3. After this I rebooted. After reboot, there was a message that said there were some extensions that need to have their privacy settings resolved, and that some systems may not work if not resolved. I resolved the issue. I use NTFS for mac, and I had to give it permission to be used, and there is a check box that says to use spotlight indexing. I rebooted again after fixing the permissions, and then I could search.

I am not sure which of these solved the problem, but it is now working.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2022 11:48 AM in response to Christopher Westcott

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. I went to System Preferences --> Siri & Spotlight --> Spotlight Privacy (button) --> added the entire Hard Drive, quit system preferences, then opened and removed the HD from the Spotlight Privacy, quit system preferences. Still seems to not be working, nor reindexing to fix it.
  2. Typed in terminal to make sure search is enabled:  sudo mdutil -i on /
  3. After this I rebooted. After reboot, there was a message that said there were some extensions that need to have their privacy settings resolved, and that some systems may not work if not resolved. I resolved the issue. I use NTFS for mac, and I had to give it permission to be used, and there is a check box that says to use spotlight indexing. I rebooted again after fixing the permissions, and then I could search.

I am not sure which of these solved the problem, but it is now working.

Searching in Mail and Spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.