Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting texts

Hi all,

On my old Android phone, it was possible to go into a thread and delete individual messages but as far as I can see, it is only possible on my iPhone SE to delete the whole thread. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ian

iPhone SE

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 3:05 PM

Hey there, IanPRSY,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

You can still delete an individual message from a message thread in the Messages app. The steps below will guide you through how to that, and you can get more information on the process in the Apple Support article Delete and recover messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support:

Delete a single message

1. Within a conversation, touch and hold the message bubble to open an options menu.
2. Tap More .
3. Tap the Trash button , then tap Delete Message.

To keep your messages for a certain amount of time, go to Settings, tap Messages, then tap Keep Messages. Then select how long you want to keep your messages.

When you delete a message, the message only disappears from your Messages thread, not from your contacts' threads. To remove a message that you accidentally sent from everyone's threads, use undo send.

If you use Messages in iCloud and delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices.

Best!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 3:05 PM in response to IanPRSY

Hey there, IanPRSY,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

You can still delete an individual message from a message thread in the Messages app. The steps below will guide you through how to that, and you can get more information on the process in the Apple Support article Delete and recover messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support:

Delete a single message

1. Within a conversation, touch and hold the message bubble to open an options menu.
2. Tap More .
3. Tap the Trash button , then tap Delete Message.

To keep your messages for a certain amount of time, go to Settings, tap Messages, then tap Keep Messages. Then select how long you want to keep your messages.

When you delete a message, the message only disappears from your Messages thread, not from your contacts' threads. To remove a message that you accidentally sent from everyone's threads, use undo send.

If you use Messages in iCloud and delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices.

Best!

Deleting texts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.