Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos with unavailable original files cannot be used

Hi. I imported some photos to my Photo Library (on a HD), but many had missing files. "Original files cannot be opened." I will describe where I got the photos from below. I would like to know how to correct this error? I am trying to may a photo album on a website, but these files can't be uploaded.

1. Any sort of screen shot I take from videos, live photos, etc on my iPad - photos stored in iCloud, are downloaded from iCloud onto my desktop, then dragged into Photos. Is there any way to simply take screen shots from iCloud, and not download and transfer entire videos?
  2. Photos I receive from others, via messages.
  3. Some are random photos taken from my own phone. They are marked with a white box, and an arrow.
  4. a few photos taken on filtering-apps, on my phone/iPad

Again, I would like to upload these photos to a book-making app, but they won't load. Some are marked with a yellow exclamation triangle and arrow, and others with a white square.

Ultimately, I need to learn how to combine all of the things I want, and transfer them into my Photo Library.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrea Spotts

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 7:50 AM

Where is the library stored?

Are you running a managed or referenced library?

Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Or see this handy graphic from Old Toad:

If you run a referenced library, *you* are responsible for keeping track of the originals.

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 18, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thank you, thank you! I was able to change that over to a managed library (it was not).

Also, I was able to change this current library to the "System Photo Library" too (as I have three). My iPad photos were loading directly onto one of the other libraries (that was labeled 'System Library'), so this change will help. However, now I have forgotten how I set up the transfer of photos from iPad directly onto HD Photos Library. would you know how to do this? I am not sure how I set it up in the first place, but it was pretty awesome.

Thank you so much!

Andrea

Photos with unavailable original files cannot be used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.