Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Backup to iCloud

I switched over to the iPhone 14 recently and it doesn't appear that my iMessages are being backed up. Messages are listed as "On" under "Apps using iCloud"; however, when I run a backup, the only items showing under the storage are Backups, Photos & Docs. Under the Messages settings, Sync this iPhone is toggled On and Manage Storage is shown as 0KB. Any way to verify the messages are actually being backed up?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 10:00 AM

Messages are not backed up in iCloud. If you use messages in iCloud, your messages are synced through iCloud onto all of your devices so that deleting in one location deletes on all connected devices.

2 replies

Nov 17, 2022 10:48 AM in response to muguy

Thank you for the response. After continuing to search, I came to this conclusion. The confusion came when I was trying to run my backup to do the transfer. It kept telling me my iCloud was full and the majority of the backup was taken up by Messages. I cleaned my messages up, but was still getting the same message.

iMessage Backup to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.