Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screenshot disappears after dragging

I love the ability to drag the thumbnail of a screenshot into an app I'm working with, and have the screenshot just show up. But when I do that, I can no longer find that screenshot in the finder. It only seems to live within the app I dragged it into. My guess is this is a "feature" not a "bug" but there's one problem. Not all apps are interoperable, and now I'm not able to copy/paste my screenshot between apps. I think I have to take another screenshot.

Anyone know if the original screenshot file is being saved somewhere other than on my desktop?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 11:08 AM

What you describe is what happens if you drag the "Floating Thumbnail" directly into an app. You need to either disable the floating thumbnail so the image is saved to the Desktop immediately or wait until the floating thumbnail disappears and the image is saved to the Desktop. You can drag an image as many times as you like from the Desktop.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 11:08 AM in response to dburchell

What you describe is what happens if you drag the "Floating Thumbnail" directly into an app. You need to either disable the floating thumbnail so the image is saved to the Desktop immediately or wait until the floating thumbnail disappears and the image is saved to the Desktop. You can drag an image as many times as you like from the Desktop.

screenshot disappears after dragging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.