Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to add an ID to Wallet, but the only option is to set up Face ID

I am attempting to add my Military ID to Wallet. However the only option I have is asking me to set to Apple Pay with the comment that "Apple Pay works best with Face ID and requires a passcode". I'm trying to use the + at the top of the screen, not the "ADD" button in the "Getting Started with Apple Pay" box, although they both result in the same green popping up. I already have a number of membership cards in Wallet that automatically were put there by their respective organizations. I am running iOS 16.1.1.

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 10:45 AM

Hello Paul Tabone1,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help get your ID added to Wallet on your iPhone.

Let's make sure you're using these steps to try and add the ID:

"To add your license or ID to Apple Wallet, you need:

• An iPhone 8 or later, or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later, with the latest version of iOS or watchOS.
  • Face ID or Touch ID turned on.
  • An Apple ID with two-factor authentication turned on.
  • A license or ID from a participating state. Learn which states participate
  • Your device region set to United States.

IDs in Apple Wallet take advantage of the privacy and security features already built into iPhone and Apple Watch. Identity data is encrypted and protected against tampering and theft, neither the state issuing authority nor Apple can see when and where you use your license or ID, and biometric authentication using Face ID and Touch ID helps make sure that only you can view and use your license or ID.

Learn more about how Apple protects your personal information and identity data."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Add your driver's license or state ID to Apple Wallet - Apple Support

We hope this helps to get the ID added correctly without any errors.

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 10:45 AM in response to Paul Tabone1

Hello Paul Tabone1,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help get your ID added to Wallet on your iPhone.

Let's make sure you're using these steps to try and add the ID:

"To add your license or ID to Apple Wallet, you need:

• An iPhone 8 or later, or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later, with the latest version of iOS or watchOS.
  • Face ID or Touch ID turned on.
  • An Apple ID with two-factor authentication turned on.
  • A license or ID from a participating state. Learn which states participate
  • Your device region set to United States.

IDs in Apple Wallet take advantage of the privacy and security features already built into iPhone and Apple Watch. Identity data is encrypted and protected against tampering and theft, neither the state issuing authority nor Apple can see when and where you use your license or ID, and biometric authentication using Face ID and Touch ID helps make sure that only you can view and use your license or ID.

Learn more about how Apple protects your personal information and identity data."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Add your driver's license or state ID to Apple Wallet - Apple Support

We hope this helps to get the ID added correctly without any errors.

Cheers!

I want to add an ID to Wallet, but the only option is to set up Face ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.