Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft exchange email blocked after updating to iOS 16.1.1.

I recently updated my iOS to the latest version and received the following message:

"Your email access has been blocked

You are receiving this message because your IT department has blocked your email access. This could be due to temporary conditions, like your network location.

Contact your IT department with any questions or concerns about this mail. This email was automatically generated by Microsoft Exchange."

After attempting to reconnect to the server several times, I ended up deleting my exchange mail account via settings and could only re-add it again after changing my password.

Now that it's been freshly re-added, I'm still not receiving any mail for this account.

Any suggestions?

iPhone X

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:11 PM

I stumbled across a solution for this issue on Reddit. It appears that the latest update triggered my iPhone to be quarantined on O365 exchange server. The way to remove it from quarantine was to go to the Exchange admin center and go to Recipients > Mailboxes, then locate the Mobile devices list on the right-hand side and select the View details link. If your iOS device is listed here, this is most likely the culprit and you will need to delete it. I had to delete the exchange server on my iPhone via settings before the Exchange system allowed me to complete the deletion on the admin page. I hope this helps anyone else who may run into this particular issue.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 9:11 PM in response to Just_thom

I stumbled across a solution for this issue on Reddit. It appears that the latest update triggered my iPhone to be quarantined on O365 exchange server. The way to remove it from quarantine was to go to the Exchange admin center and go to Recipients > Mailboxes, then locate the Mobile devices list on the right-hand side and select the View details link. If your iOS device is listed here, this is most likely the culprit and you will need to delete it. I had to delete the exchange server on my iPhone via settings before the Exchange system allowed me to complete the deletion on the admin page. I hope this helps anyone else who may run into this particular issue.

Nov 17, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Just_thom

Just_thom wrote:

I recently updated my iOS to the latest version and received the following message:

"Your email access has been blocked
You are receiving this message because your IT department has blocked your email access. This could be due to temporary conditions, like your network location.
Contact your IT department with any questions or concerns about this mail. This email was automatically generated by Microsoft Exchange."

After attempting to reconnect to the server several times, I ended up deleting my exchange mail account via settings and could only re-add it again after changing my password.
Now that it's been freshly re-added, I'm still not receiving any mail for this account.

Any suggestions?

Talk to your IT department, not an iphone or Apple issue.

Nov 17, 2022 4:35 PM in response to Just_thom

Just_thom wrote:

This is very much an Apple issue. As I mentioned, this error only occurred after updating my iOS to the latest version. I had to install Outlook for iOS since the native mail client is the only client that appears to be having this issue.

Um did actually read the error message? It made no mention of your email being blocked by the ios update or Apple. And if that is the best answer your IT administrator can give you man.. I don't know how he/she still in IT.

Nov 17, 2022 7:26 PM in response to Just_thom

Just_thom wrote:

This is very much an Apple issue. As I mentioned, this error only occurred after updating my iOS to the latest version. I had to install Outlook for iOS since the native mail client is the only client that appears to be having this issue.

While your iOS upgrade might be triggering this, your response is still to contact your IT team. To do what the message tells you to do.

IT teams routinely block software versions they haven’t tested with, or that they’ve encountered some site-specific issue(s) with, or that requires some IT-specific setup steps. Which is why IT has told you what to do here; to contact IT.

Contact your IT team. Which is what the message tells you to do.

Nov 17, 2022 8:25 PM in response to MrHoffman

I should have mentioned that I am a remote 365 user and receive my exchange services through Godaddy. I contacted them this afternoon and spoke with a tech for over an hour and was escalated to someone in tier one that stated this is was on Apple's end since their configuration had not changed and my issues only arose after the latest update to iOS 16.1.1.

I then proceeded to contact Apple, troubleshooting the issue with three different techs for another 2 and a half hours. It was through this dialogue that I decided to download Outlook for iOS, which had no problem with connecting to the exchange server.

Exchange is working through the web client via browser on iOS and Outlook, but not for Apple's native mail client. The mail server was removed and re-added via iOS settings multiple times with multiple password changes and the Mail client still can't connect. I was hoping to see if others were experiencing this same issue and had any success rather than getting the obvious "do what the email tells you" response, which I assumed would be obvious.

Microsoft exchange email blocked after updating to iOS 16.1.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.