Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Silence Junk Callers”

I have this turned on, but my phone still rings when I get them anyways, WHY!? I do not want to turn on the “silence unknown callers” as I get calls from number I do not have saved. The problem is, I have the silence junk callers turned on, yet I am still dealing with my phone ringing for “potential spam” calls. My phone is correctly identifying them yet NOT silencing them despite having the service toggled on.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 11:35 AM

I'm unable to locate a "silence junk callers" setting.

There is a "silence unknown callers", as you state.

Have you added a call-blocking app? If so, check with the app support folks for that app.

Here is what Apple suggests: Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support

Additionally, check what call-filtering options your carrier might offer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 11:35 AM in response to Sarizona

I'm unable to locate a "silence junk callers" setting.

There is a "silence unknown callers", as you state.

Have you added a call-blocking app? If so, check with the app support folks for that app.

Here is what Apple suggests: Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support

Additionally, check what call-filtering options your carrier might offer.

Nov 17, 2022 12:04 PM in response to MrHoffman

The setting is under “call blocking & identification”. I have seen the suggestion of using a third party app, I just find it odd that this setting exists, but is not effective. I’d rather not have to use a third party app if the device I have claims to be capable of the task. Perhaps they have removed this option in new updates, I’m running 15.6.1 on the 11 pro. Plan on updating today at some point to the 16.1.1

Nov 17, 2022 12:19 PM in response to Sarizona

I'm looking at iOS 16.1.1. I have "silence unknown callers", and not what you're referring to; no "silence junk callers".

Whether there's a call-blocking app installed that adds "silence junk callers", or Apple changed something here?

Or whether this is some Verizon-specific feature or option? I'm using a different carrier.

The Apple doc indicates this setting has been "silence unknown callers" since iOS 13:

... Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support

As for the issue, contact your carrier (Verizon, apparently) and see if they have options or issues here, then check with Apple Support.

Nov 17, 2022 1:46 PM in response to Sarizona

Sarizona wrote:

Thank you! I will have to contact them, didn't realize it was not an apple thing.

The carriers do have some limited control over some of the Phone settings. I'm a Verizon customer and have that setting. It does seem to mark certain calls as "Potential Spam". I can't tell if it stops them from ringing though as I have very few people allowed to ring through at least during working hours.

“Silence Junk Callers”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.