Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro 16" will not work with Dell UltraSharp using Display Port (Monitor goes immediately to Power Save)

I have a new Work computer... MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021). M1 Max, fairly loaded. When I try to connect this to may Dell UltraSharp using Display Port the Dell immediately goes into power save mode. This monitor works perfectly with every other computer (including other MacBooks with Intel chips). It also works using HDMI with my new computer. This is clearly a problem with this computer and not the monitor. Anybody have similar issues and solutions to get the DisplayPort connection to work? (HDMI is clunky and not available on other Mac's so that sort of make's is extra wonky to use).

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 6:02 AM

Solved after a fashion...

Had to revert monitors DisplayPort protocol to 1.1.a rather than 1.2. Not sure why 1.2 doesn't work with the new MacBook Pro, yet works with everything else. Since I'm not daisy chaining or going above 2560x1440 this works. Though it's still concerning a bit.

6 replies

Nov 18, 2022 5:26 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

i’ve tried two thunderbolt -> DisplayPort cables. Both directly from my computer. Also tried both cables and one dp-> dp cables from two different docking stations ( one OWC one StarTech ). Everyone of these connections works on every Intel Mac with thunderbolt connections I have tried.

BTW, technically, DisplayPort is a protocol (not a connection or cable type). And this protocol is supported with thunderbolt. So your assertion that there is no direct DisplayPort connection is very much wrong.

Nov 18, 2022 8:49 AM in response to Scott Meyers

<< technically, DisplayPort is a protocol (not a connection or cable type). And this protocol is supported with thunderbolt >>

Then you should respond "I am using a ThunderBolt cable" when asked to list what cables, adapters, and Docks you are using. It was not intended to be a 'trick question'.

Dell lists 18 Dell UltraSharp displays currently for sale on its web site. You have never specified which model you hare trying to connect.

--------

When you can provide accurate details information about what and how you are connecting things, it allows Readers to understand what you are using and possibly provide some assistance or things to try.

New MacBook Pro 16" will not work with Dell UltraSharp using Display Port (Monitor goes immediately to Power Save)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.