You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey

Have all the bugs been worked out of Monterey? I need to upgrade so I can use the latest QB desktop, but I'm a little leary of switching from Big Sur.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 7:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 12:50 PM

kcbknitter wrote:

Thank you, that's what I was looking for with my question. Sounds like it will be fine to upgrade to Monterey in the next couple of weeks. I think I will call and get help with it though. It sounds complicated.

It actually isn't complicated.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Just follow the instructions, they lead to an App Store link that allows you to download the Installer for Monterey, which you then simply double click on to start the process. From Big Sur the process should be relatively simple; I have gone to Monterey from Catalina (skipping Big Sur) and also on one Mac from High Sierra, which is four generations old versus Monterey. Compatibility of applications will be similar or the same for Big Sur versus Monterey. You MIGHT need to reinstall a printer driver, but I did not have to do that for my printers. When the upgrade to Monterey completes you MIGHT be asked to log into your Apple ID account again.

I suggest that before downloading and executing the upgrade, that you double check your backup is up to date and working, then turn off Time Machine backups (otherwise it might try to do a Monterey backup to the drive with Big Sur backups), disconnect all external drives and peripherals except the mouse and keyboard, uninstall completely all anti-virus and "cleaning" tools/software (and leave them uninstalled), restart the computer, and shut down all applications that might be running. When you do the upgrade, there will be several different indicators showing "time remaining," those pertain to different stages of the upgrade (downloading, preparing ... etc.) not to the end to end process, and are not always accurate. During the upgrade the computer may appear to go black and appear to be "off" for as long as a minute or two (which is a long time if you are watching). Just let the process continue and complete without intervening. It's actually best to leave the room and find something else to do for 30-60 minutes, have you heard the expression "a watched update seems to never complete"?

If the computer appears to be asleep or off when you return, push the space bar and either you will see the progress bar of the upgrade, or a login window -- the login window means it has finished.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 18, 2022 12:50 PM in response to kcbknitter

kcbknitter wrote:

Thank you, that's what I was looking for with my question. Sounds like it will be fine to upgrade to Monterey in the next couple of weeks. I think I will call and get help with it though. It sounds complicated.

It actually isn't complicated.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Just follow the instructions, they lead to an App Store link that allows you to download the Installer for Monterey, which you then simply double click on to start the process. From Big Sur the process should be relatively simple; I have gone to Monterey from Catalina (skipping Big Sur) and also on one Mac from High Sierra, which is four generations old versus Monterey. Compatibility of applications will be similar or the same for Big Sur versus Monterey. You MIGHT need to reinstall a printer driver, but I did not have to do that for my printers. When the upgrade to Monterey completes you MIGHT be asked to log into your Apple ID account again.

I suggest that before downloading and executing the upgrade, that you double check your backup is up to date and working, then turn off Time Machine backups (otherwise it might try to do a Monterey backup to the drive with Big Sur backups), disconnect all external drives and peripherals except the mouse and keyboard, uninstall completely all anti-virus and "cleaning" tools/software (and leave them uninstalled), restart the computer, and shut down all applications that might be running. When you do the upgrade, there will be several different indicators showing "time remaining," those pertain to different stages of the upgrade (downloading, preparing ... etc.) not to the end to end process, and are not always accurate. During the upgrade the computer may appear to go black and appear to be "off" for as long as a minute or two (which is a long time if you are watching). Just let the process continue and complete without intervening. It's actually best to leave the room and find something else to do for 30-60 minutes, have you heard the expression "a watched update seems to never complete"?

If the computer appears to be asleep or off when you return, push the space bar and either you will see the progress bar of the upgrade, or a login window -- the login window means it has finished.

Nov 18, 2022 1:51 AM in response to kcbknitter

Since the release of its' successor Ventura macOS 13 on Oct 24, the only things Monterey 12.6.1 may get are Security Updates henceforth.

Tips Monterey Upgrade 

The below points should be consider before attempting the upgrade.

Point # 1 -Does the >>  Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade 

Point # 1A - There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Point # 1B - Caution - jumping over all the newer versions and directly to Big Sur  / Monterey , Ventura on Qualifying computers is Technically possible - there are those who have attempted and were successful. Then there are those who attempted and had less than good results.

If this is a Production or Mission Critical Set-up - a more prudent and measure approach is suggested. 

The above is from observations on the Apple Support Community Forums and IMHO

Point # 2 - >> How to upgrade to macOS Monterey

Point # 3 - Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage. 

Point # 4 - Empty Space afterwards - it is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

Point # 5 - The upgrade will require a quick, stable and reliable Internet Connection - preferred method is via Ethernet Connection. 

Point # 6 - If using Wifi - move computer as close to the Access Point / Router and disconnect all other devices connected to Wifi. Want the maximum bandwidth for the computer being upgraded to Monterey

Point # 7Commercial VPNs   should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect. 

Point # 8 - If downloading Monterey from behind a VPN it may increase Packet Looses and an incomplete or corrupted Installer.

Point # 9 - AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS including the download and installation of Monterey

The Built in Security  is all that is required. 

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Point # 10 - Disk Cleaners, Optimizers and UnInstaller are not needed. They will often times attempt to Modify, Alter, Remove or Delete elements of the Operating System requiring a Re-Installation.

Point # 11 - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful.

Point # 12 - For addition purposes - two Tested Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Does my CCC backup have to be bootable for me to restore data from it?

Point # 13 - Are the installed Applications / Extensions compatible with Monterey. Check with the Developer for compatible Apps / extensions. Do they offer updates or upgrades. Same goes for Third Party Drivers for Printer, Scanners etc.

Nov 18, 2022 8:31 AM in response to kcbknitter

Welcome and thank you for the additional info.

Going back to a Previous Version of Mac OS can be done but with some Downtime.

Scorched Earth Method 

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map.

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

9 - With a Time Machine Backup done before the above is done, you can use Setup Assist on the Very First Boot-up to bring over your User Account which will contain wherever exists in your Home Folder ( User Account Folder )

Nov 18, 2022 8:22 AM in response to PRP_53

This is very helpful, thank you. I am currently using Big Sur 11.7. I use the desk top version of Quickbooks and installed the newest version, but it won't open because it requires the Monterey 12 or above to open. My iMac is a late 2015 version so technically it should work. If I install Monterey and it doesn't work with this computer, can I uninstall it and go back to what I currently have?

Nov 18, 2022 9:46 AM in response to kcbknitter

kcbknitter wrote:

Have all the bugs been worked out of Monterey? I need to upgrade so I can use the latest QB desktop, but I'm a little leary of switching from Big Sur.

P. Phillips provides a very complete set of instructions for the situation where you upgrade to Monterey but decide to return to Big Sur. Note the importance of retaining your Big Sur backup (e.g. Time Machine) for his last step in the sequence.

As for your original question about reliability of Monterey: note that Monterey has been out for quite some time and is fairly mature. In fact Monterey has been superseded now by Ventura. Monterey is on version 12.6.1 so at least six significant updates have been made to Monterey, in each one numerous bugs have been eliminated. So while no operating system is 100% bug free, Monterey has benefitted from significant effort to remove them. The same holds for Big Sur, it is also mature, on version 11.7 (seven iterations to remove bugs). On the other hand Ventura is new, on version 13.01, so one minor update so far. That said, with each new operating system, new capabilities are provided.

I have several Macs on Monterey and one still on Big Sur. My workplace has several thousand Macs running on Monterey, very few problems, and most of those stem from the mandatory anti-virus software the employer has on all those Macs. The Macs I use on Monterey and Big Sur are very stable. I can certainly recommend you proceed to Monterey. Ventura is also an option (if your Mac is new enough for it) for additional features, but expect some updates in the coming months for Ventura to address bugs as they get discovered.

Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.