Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome browser auto launches at startup

Chrome is not set as my default browser, Firefox is

• Every time I open up Chrome, a Settings notification appears saying "Google Chrome.app will open automatically when you log in. You can manage this in Login Items Settings"
  • I remove Google Chrome from "Open at Login" settings in Settings > General
  • I hunt around in Chrome settings for anything that suggests I've asked it to open automatically
  • Shut down and restart my iMac
  • Chrome doesn't auto start - but as soon as I start it, the Settings notification appears again and Google Chrome reappears in my "Open at Login" settings
  • Shut down and restart my iMac
  • Chrome opens automatically in a full window (not even minimised )

How can I get Chrome not to autostart in MacOS Ventura every time I start my iMac?

(BTW, this also happens with Brave Browser - a Chrome spin-off)

Thanks for any help

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 2:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 4:37 AM

Yes and have seen this before sorry to report.

There appears to be two options available at this time

1 - Purge the computer of Google Chrome altogether. Not popular option but an option just the same

2 - Communicated with the Developers of this software for a fix to their software

9 replies

Nov 18, 2022 6:12 AM in response to pscott.oom

Apologies for replying to myself with, what I think might be, a solution - and thanks guys for your suggestions.

On a Google Chrome forum, someone suggested checking for any Chrome background apps running - couldn't find any. But that reminded me of a previous issue where someone else suggested checking what browser extensions were doing.

After laboriously going through disabling extensions and removing Chrome from the Open at Login setting, then re-enabling the extensions one-by-one, it seems that (in one of my Chrome profiles) the CricInfo extension would immediately invoke the Settings notification "Google Chrome.app will open automatically when you log in..." Having disabled the extension, the browser behaves and doesn't start itself automatically, but once enabled it reverts to this unwanted behaviour.

I have a few more extensions to go through on different profiles, but it looks like in my case it's some mis-behaving extensions wot done it.

I'm still curious why this only emerged for me once I installed Ventura?

Chrome browser auto launches at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.