Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Keywords from List in Apple Photos

Is it possible to remove keywords from the Apple Photos keyword list? For example, I had a typo when I entered a keyword on a photo, "Lake Superir". I corrected the mistake, first deleting the bad keyword, and inputing the correct one, "Lake Superior". However, every time I have a picture I want to tag "Lake Superior", as I am typing the word, both the correct and incorrect keyword will appear in the list (until, of course, I get to the "o" in the correct keyword).

I've searched for the incorrect keyword, however, no photos appear when I input the entire incorrect keyword in the search window.

Is there a way to get rid of these misspelled or otherwise unwanted keyword?

Mike

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 7:56 AM

I have to do this all the time! Command-K brings up the Keyword list. (Also Window>Keyword Manager) You can select Edit Keywords, and you will see the list of all keywords. You go down the list, select "Lake Superir", and hit Delete. If the keyword is not being used at all, it will just go away. If some pictures still use this keyword it lets you know and gives you a chance to back out.

If you had a bunch of pictures keyworded "Lake Superir", you could highlight that in Keyword Manager and correct it there, and all the "Lake Superir"s on all the pictures would be fixed.

There are other cool things you can do with Keyword Manager-- look here:

Find photos by keyword in Photos on Mac - Apple Support (BY)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 7:56 AM in response to rotorblades

I have to do this all the time! Command-K brings up the Keyword list. (Also Window>Keyword Manager) You can select Edit Keywords, and you will see the list of all keywords. You go down the list, select "Lake Superir", and hit Delete. If the keyword is not being used at all, it will just go away. If some pictures still use this keyword it lets you know and gives you a chance to back out.

If you had a bunch of pictures keyworded "Lake Superir", you could highlight that in Keyword Manager and correct it there, and all the "Lake Superir"s on all the pictures would be fixed.

There are other cool things you can do with Keyword Manager-- look here:

Find photos by keyword in Photos on Mac - Apple Support (BY)

Nov 19, 2022 9:34 AM in response to rotorblades

Some incorrectly spelled keywords may come back, over and over again, like a bad penny. This can happen, if the keyword with the typo is embedded in the IPTC tags of the original image files that you imported. Then you may need to remove the keyword from the original file and reimport the corrected file. It helps to correct all typos in the titles, captions, keywords before exporting photos or passing them to external editors.

Removing Keywords from List in Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.