Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get back the old version of Courier font

How do I get back the old version of courier font now that I've "upgraded" to Ventura?

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 2:02 AM

Apple replaced the courier font because they did not renew the license with Adobe.

You can download the old one from here:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/courier

However, you must either purchase the font or have a Creative Cloud subscription. The other option is to download the font from any number of font websites and install it in your font folder.

Install or remove fonts on your Mac - Apple Support

You can also use a third party app to control your fonts. This is helpful if you have a large number of fonts and need to turn them on or off depending upon your usage.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 2:02 AM in response to SactoBobA

Apple replaced the courier font because they did not renew the license with Adobe.

You can download the old one from here:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/courier

However, you must either purchase the font or have a Creative Cloud subscription. The other option is to download the font from any number of font websites and install it in your font folder.

Install or remove fonts on your Mac - Apple Support

You can also use a third party app to control your fonts. This is helpful if you have a large number of fonts and need to turn them on or off depending upon your usage.

Nov 20, 2022 12:21 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Apple support verified that the old version of the font Courier (called just “Courier”) was replaced in Ventura by an updated one called “Courier New.” The old version is no longer available. The new version has different attributes - larger “X” height, thinner strokes of the font, different width of characters, etc.

Before Ventura, there were two fonts - Courier and Courier New. Now only Courier New exists. And when you open a Word file, a document using plain Courier now uses Courier New.

Although it may look “similar”, it is different and changes hundreds of Word file documents of mine that use the old Courier font. For some of my documents, what used to be just one page in Word is now two pages because of the larger “X” height of the characters. The thinner aspect of the strokes in the letters also makes it a little harder to read.

They said they have no work around from Apple. The old version is gone and is not available any longer. My Macbook Air still has the old font as it is not upgraded to Ventura, and a side by side comparison of the same file proves the difference, which I sent to to Apple Support to explain my issue.

I am investigating third party fonts to see if I can find one that will work, but alas, Apple dropped a simple font that has existed since 1984 and the original Mac.

Nov 20, 2022 12:50 PM in response to SactoBobA

Copy the Courier fonrt on your Macbook Air onto a USB stick, eject it, and then mount that on Ventura.

Click on the Desktop and then press shift+cmd+G to open the Go To Folder dialog. Copy/paste the following into that dialog:

~/Library/Fonts

This will open your local Fonts folder in a new Finder window. Drag and drop the old Courier font from the mounted USB stick into this Font's folder's Finder window, close this window, and eject your mounted USB stick.

This older Courier font will appear in Word 16.67 and other application font menus.

How can I get back the old version of Courier font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.