Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV search bar cannot edit

Until recently, the search function was working fine.

Within the last week or so, when using the search bar (as in Youtube) starting a search works fine, but if I need to edit or add to the search, I can’t get back to the search text and have to start over from scratch.

Is it just my Apple TV or is anyone else having this problem?

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 7:32 AM

Thanks for the response.

I have restarted several times, even reinstalled YouTube and it’s still happening.

not sure if I made it clear, but once a search text is entered and I drop down the cursor below the text area, I can not get back to alter the text entry.

13 replies

Dec 21, 2022 8:44 PM in response to Stephen Morimoto

Bruv, you're not alone.

I can't say for sure when it started, but I'm guessing somewhere around Labor Day - so at least 3 months.

I feel your pain with trying to find answers to this. Even explaining *precisely* what the problem is poses a challenge: "I can't go back to the search line"? I can't edit searches after searching"?

It should go without saying that we (1) confirmed the software is up to date; (2) disco/redo from the wifi; (3) cleared YT search history; and (4) hard reset the Apple TV. This isn't an IT Crowd fix where its resolved by changing network names or swapping out the remote.

Something broke in the code for an update, and apparently not enough people have complained (or been affected) to warrant a fix.

I'll keep searching. Let me know if you find anything

Feb 11, 2023 4:16 PM in response to Stephen Morimoto

Here’s a cheap work around.

Problem

1) You search for the first time. You select one of the results.

2) Now, you want to edit. You cant access the edit feature. Right?

Solution

1) When you are at point #2 in the Problem listed above, Select the Microphone phone button on your apple tv remote

2) Now, select the menu button on your apple tv remote. Bingo, you get your last typed text. And, you can now edit.

Let me know if it worked. I had the same problem too

Nov 21, 2022 1:15 PM in response to Stephen Morimoto

Hey there Stephen Morimoto,

If this is a sudden change, try restarting your Apple TV and check to see if that helps:

Do any of the following:
• Press and hold both the Back  (Siri Remote 2nd generation or later) or  (Siri
Remote 1st generation) and TV   buttons on the Siri Remote until the Apple TV status light blinks rapidly.
• Disconnect Apple TV from the power outlet, wait five seconds, then reconnect it.
• Open Settings  on Apple TV, go to System and select Restart.

Restart Apple TV - Apple Support

Take care!

Nov 23, 2022 8:46 AM in response to Stephen Morimoto

Hello Stephen Morimoto,

Does this only occur in the YouTube app? Are you able to reproduce this behavior when searching other apps, like the Apple TV app?

If not, then it would be best to contact the developer of the app (YouTube in this case) for additional troubleshooting steps. They built the app, so they'll be able to assist further. Here's how: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Contact the developer of a tvOS app

1. Open the App Store on your Apple TV.

2. Search for the app, then choose it.

3. The app's product page appears. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Find the developer's website in the Information section.

In the App Store on Apple TV, the developer's website is at the bottom of the app's page.

In case this happens in multiple apps, then we'd recommend the updating the Apple TV: Update your Apple TV - Apple Support

Is this happening with the Apple TV Remote or the Apple TV Remote app on your iOS device? If you haven't tested the Apple TV Remote, we'd do that now and the Apple TV Remote app, if you haven't tried this yet.

Let us know how it goes, take care.

Nov 23, 2022 9:36 AM in response to destiny241

Seems like it is only in YouTube.

thanks for the info, I’ll try and contact them.

I have a different remote that I set up when I dropped it into my coffee mug. After it dried out, it’s working fine.

tried with both remotes and same results.

would be interested if I’m the only one having this problem.

just tested using the remote on the iPhone and it still exists.

it just happened recently. Don’t know if there was an update to YouTube recently.

thanks for the help

Apple TV search bar cannot edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.