Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2017 - replacement of hdd with adapter

Hello,

I’ve replaced my original 128 GB m.2 had in my MacBook Air 2017. The new hdd is not Apple Original, but I’ve used an adapter.

But when I am going to re-install MacOS, the hdd is not to be found in utility manger.. any idea why?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 2:20 AM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2022 4:48 AM in response to HvepseBo

just replaced the battery to a brand new one, but after 1 hour and 10 min teams call with camera on, my MacBook was drained to 54%. It was 100% when the teams call started.

The battery is another non user-serviceable component. If you serviced it yourself with a third-party counterfeit battery, you should contact Apple for an official repair: Apple Support.

From Apple:

Beware of counterfeit parts
Some counterfeit and third party power adapters and batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery during a battery replacement, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need a replacement adapter to charge your Apple device, we recommend getting an Apple power adapter.
Also non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts.

Jack

Nov 19, 2022 3:35 AM in response to HvepseBo

Okay I see, do you have any links that document that?

From the MacBook Air page on Apple.com in 2017:

Please note that the storage is built into the computer, so if you think you’ll need additional storage capacity in the future, it’s important to upgrade at the time of purchase.

Also, there isn't any documentation from Apple Support on any user-upgrades for MacBook Air, which there would be for a user-upgradable component.

Jack

Nov 19, 2022 3:55 AM in response to HvepseBo

HvepseBo wrote:

Okay.. but how was I able to switch the m.2 disk then? Used the adapter that I’ve purchased. When I get home, I can send you an picture of the original disk, that I’ve replaced.

Your Mac was simply not designed for these modifications. That's why you needed this "adapter" for this unsupported modification.

MacBook Air 2017 - replacement of hdd with adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.