Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app stopped word-wrapping

Mail.app* used to word-wrap both outgoing and incoming mail.

Lately, at least with with one correspondent, it does not.

Both incoming messages and my replies contain sentences that run off beyond the edge of Mail's Image Viewer window.

Opening the message into a new Mail window (by double-clicking) does not help.

Selecting all (⌘A), then copying (⌘C), then pasting (⌘V) into a new (⌘N) Mail Window's message area fixes the problem.

It's not a bad workaround, but Is there any way to control Mail's word-wrapping feature?

--Gil

• - Mail.app Version 12.4 running under macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 12:46 PM

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

In Mail>Preferences>Composing>Mesage format, is it Plain text or RTF, in Responding is the top box checked?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 12:46 PM in response to Gil Dawson

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

In Mail>Preferences>Composing>Mesage format, is it Plain text or RTF, in Responding is the top box checked?

Nov 19, 2022 2:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi, BDAqua--

Thank you for your suggestions.

After rebooting into Safe Mode, the particular messages in my Inbox, which were previously not word-wrapped, are still not word-wrapped. However, If I reply to the message, the sender's copied text becomes word-wrapped, and also my replying text is now word-wrapped. This is a big improvement! Thanks!

W.R.T. your question, Mail>Preferences>Composing>Composing>Message Format is set to "Rich Text".

and Mail>Preferences>Composing>Responding> the top checkbox ("use the same message format...") is not checked.

I shall now reboot (into UnSafe mode) and report back.

Nov 20, 2022 5:34 PM in response to Gil Dawson

This issue happens every few years with Apple Mail. It seems to get fixed in one OS update but then gets broken in a later update. It seems to have something to do with some formatting characters in the received email. As you have found, hitting Reply should give you a word-wrapped view but, in this case, it is best to immediately delete the To addresses to ensure you don't accidentally send a nonsense reply.

Mail.app stopped word-wrapping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.