Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the process for buying a new phone from Apple?

I'm planning on purchasing an iPhone 12 online and having it delivered to my address. My current phone (iPhone X) was paid in full and isn't on a lease.

1) I still want to keep my current phone number and cellular plan with my carrier (T-Mobile). Can I just order the iPhone 12 from Apple and buy a replacement sim from T-Mobile (I don't want to transfer the old sim to my new phone)?

2) I don't want to do a trade-in. Can I just choose the "no trade-in" option before checking out to keep my old phone?

3) Once the new phone arrives and I put in/activate the replacement sim, will my old phone automatically stop working even though it still has the old sim in it? Or do I need to contact T-Mobile to deactivate the old phone?

Basically, I don't need to transfer any data, change anything on my plan, or get credit for my old phone. All I need is a new phone, so I just don't want all the hassle of going into a T-Mobile store.

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 12:13 PM

1] Yes. Make sure to order an unlocked iPhone.

2] Yes.

3] Yes. Be advised all iPhone 14 models sold in the US

have eSims only - no physical sim. T-mobile does support

eSim.

Once the new iPhone and number has been

activated by T-Mobile, old iPhone will no longer function as

a cell phone (until/unless reactivated) but all other functions of

the old iPhone will still work.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 12:13 PM in response to pax95

1] Yes. Make sure to order an unlocked iPhone.

2] Yes.

3] Yes. Be advised all iPhone 14 models sold in the US

have eSims only - no physical sim. T-mobile does support

eSim.

Once the new iPhone and number has been

activated by T-Mobile, old iPhone will no longer function as

a cell phone (until/unless reactivated) but all other functions of

the old iPhone will still work.

Nov 19, 2022 3:47 PM in response to imobl

Ah, I see! So if I choose the "connect to any carrier later" option, I still only have to follow the steps above, correct? That is, order a replacement sim from T-Mobile to keep my current phone number and cellular plan, activate the sim card once my new phone arrives (the old phone will automatically be deactivated during this process), and then everything should be good to go? I guess I'm just sort of confused about the "connecting to a carrier later" part. By inserting the replacement sim into the new phone, does that connect my new iPhone to my carrier (T-Mobile)?

What's the process for buying a new phone from Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.