Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One person can’t receive my iMessage

I can receive text messages from

someone but he can’t receive mine. I’m receiving text messages back and forth from my other contacts. I have checked, he’s unblocked. I restarted my phone. I reset my network settings. Any help?

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 11:25 PM

If you have enabled iMessages and sending a message to another iPhone user then it will be always sent as iMessage. The same will be sent as SMS only if...

1. You have no internet either over WiFi or Cellular
  2. The recipient has not activated iMessage.

Types of messages?

• iMessage? --> Check your internet stability and connectivity. If the Apple server is the issue, it will show here --> Support - System Status - Apple
  • SMS/MMS? --> Does not need internet but contact your Carrier Service Provider for network coverage and outages ->: Down Detector - outages

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 11:25 PM in response to genesta177

If you have enabled iMessages and sending a message to another iPhone user then it will be always sent as iMessage. The same will be sent as SMS only if...

1. You have no internet either over WiFi or Cellular
  2. The recipient has not activated iMessage.

Types of messages?

• iMessage? --> Check your internet stability and connectivity. If the Apple server is the issue, it will show here --> Support - System Status - Apple
  • SMS/MMS? --> Does not need internet but contact your Carrier Service Provider for network coverage and outages ->: Down Detector - outages

Nov 19, 2022 11:28 PM in response to genesta177

Are you receiving his messages from Apple ID or Phone number?

He may not have iMessage enabled for his Phone number and also may not have enabled SMS plan for his SIM through his carrier.

In that case he can send you iMessage through his Apple ID but you cannot send a text message to his phone number. He also cannot send you an SMS from his phone number.

Try sending an iMessage to his Apple ID.

One person can’t receive my iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.