Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2022MacAir not recognizing USB SuperDrive on Satechi adapter

I have a 2022MacAir and a USB SuperDrive. I use a Satchi USB-C adapter. The MacAir does not recognize the USB SuperDrive. I get a message that says to connect the superdrive directly to the Mac - but of course that's not possible. I need to make some DVDs. Not sure how to troubleshoot this - or what to buy if I need to get a different drive.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 9:59 PM

Hello!

I have a 2022MacAir and a USB SuperDrive. I use a Satchi USB-C adapter. The MacAir does not recognize the USB SuperDrive. I get a message that says to connect the superdrive directly to the Mac - but of course that's not possible.

You need to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive using a USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple connected directly to your Mac. Otherwise, the Apple USB SuperDrive doesn't receive enough power.

Jack

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 9:59 PM in response to Carol780

Hello!

I have a 2022MacAir and a USB SuperDrive. I use a Satchi USB-C adapter. The MacAir does not recognize the USB SuperDrive. I get a message that says to connect the superdrive directly to the Mac - but of course that's not possible.

You need to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive using a USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple connected directly to your Mac. Otherwise, the Apple USB SuperDrive doesn't receive enough power.

Jack

Nov 19, 2022 9:57 PM in response to Carol780

Hi again. I too have an MBA M2 and a stand alone Asus USB DVD drive that I used with my 2015 MB Pro. While the M2 Air recognized the drive when I plugged it in via an Apple USB adaptor it appears there is not enough power from the USB-C port to fully power the drive. I can hear the drive clicking but that is all it will do. I tested it in each USB-C port but neither supplied enough power.

I looked up the specs of the Superdrive and sorry to say it is not listed as being compatible with the newer Air models which is unfortunate. That said keep checking back for maybe someone will know of a work around. Cheers.

2022MacAir not recognizing USB SuperDrive on Satechi adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.