Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can one use Migration Assistant to REPLACE Music library on a "new" mac that was set up a year ago?

Trying to reply to Luis, but replies are not allowed:

You say to use migration assistant, but what if the new mac was already set up a year ago? Can I restart migration assistant and use it to REPLACE the Music library on the new mac with the one on the old mac (which has more music, more recent playlists and other meta-data)?

Monterey on both machines.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 3:31 AM

Yes, but...

Yes, you can use Migration Assistant at any time, and not just when setting up a new mac.

When you launch Migration Assistant, it won't just copy files on their own.

It will copy a user account.

So, for example, you can have UserA on your current mac and migrate UserB from another mac or Time Machine backup.

I would instead just manually copy the folder containing your old Music library, then start Music holding down the Option key, and point to the desired library.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 3:31 AM in response to Dan Suthers

Yes, but...

Yes, you can use Migration Assistant at any time, and not just when setting up a new mac.

When you launch Migration Assistant, it won't just copy files on their own.

It will copy a user account.

So, for example, you can have UserA on your current mac and migrate UserB from another mac or Time Machine backup.

I would instead just manually copy the folder containing your old Music library, then start Music holding down the Option key, and point to the desired library.

Can one use Migration Assistant to REPLACE Music library on a "new" mac that was set up a year ago?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.