You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

diskutil list not showing internal disk

Hi,

I’ve just replaced my original MacBook Air 2017 internal hard-drive with a Samsung SSD/M.2 disk from a Lenovo pc.

actually my MacBook is able boot up Windows 11. But I am not able locate the disk in “disk utility” and I am not able locate my internal SSD/M.2 in “terminal” with command “diskutil list” either.

But again it is possible to boot up Windows 11 on my MacBook, so how can it be that I can’t find it “disk utility” or “Terminal” with command “diskutil list”.

Hope some of you genius are able to help me ;)

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 4:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 9:27 AM

Hello HvepseBo,

Checking to see if the disk appears within Disk Utility while in macOS Recovery can help isolate things a bit more. How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility provides steps to check this and more.

1. "Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:
    • Apple silicon: Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window. Click the gear icon labeled Options, then click Continue.
    • Intel processor: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R.
  1. You may be asked to select a user you know the password for. Select the user, then click Next and enter their administrator password.
  2. From the utilities window in macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility and click Continue."

If you're seeing your disk there, use the steps under "Repair volumes, then containers, then disks" to repair it.

If the disk isn't appearing within Disk Utility, the "If your disk doesn't appear in Disk Utility" section of that link provides more insight on additional steps you'll need to take.

Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2022 9:27 AM in response to HvepseBo

Hello HvepseBo,

Checking to see if the disk appears within Disk Utility while in macOS Recovery can help isolate things a bit more. How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility provides steps to check this and more.

1. "Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:
    • Apple silicon: Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window. Click the gear icon labeled Options, then click Continue.
    • Intel processor: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R.
  1. You may be asked to select a user you know the password for. Select the user, then click Next and enter their administrator password.
  2. From the utilities window in macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility and click Continue."

If you're seeing your disk there, use the steps under "Repair volumes, then containers, then disks" to repair it.

If the disk isn't appearing within Disk Utility, the "If your disk doesn't appear in Disk Utility" section of that link provides more insight on additional steps you'll need to take.

Regards.

diskutil list not showing internal disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.