Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini 6 not connecting to Computers at USB 3 Speeds

Has anyone else experienced this?

The iPad mini 6 appears to not be capable of connecting to a Mac, or PC at USB 3.0 speeds. I noticed this as I was trying to sync my Music library (200GB) to the iPad and it was taking a lot longer per song than it should have.

I have a M1 Mac mini, and I was using one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports with a TB3 cable, and this cable has no issues connecting other things like a Pluggable NVMe enclosure at USB-C 10Gbit speeds. I typically see up to 1GB/s during a disk bench.

I opened up Apple System Information, and saw the Mini was connecting at USB 2.0 Speeds.

I tried another cable, and a different port. Tried one of the USB-A ports, and same speeds.

Connected the iPad to my work MacBook Pro 2019, same USB 2.0 connection speeds.

But apple says in the specs, it should be capable of USB 3 Gen 1 5Gbit/s.

iPad mini (6th generation) - Technical Specifications

So, since all 3 of my computers were failing to connect at USB 3 speeds, even with known good cables, I did a different test.

I created a 5GB test file with DD using /urandom so its incompressible. Named it TestFile5GB.zip.

I copied this 5GB file to my external NVMe USB drive, (Pluggable NVMe external with Samsung 970 EVO 500GB). It copied the file from my Mini M1 to the drive at around 800MB/s.

Then, using the same TB3 cable, I connected the NVMe drive to the iPad.

Opened Files on the iPad

Copied TestFile5GB.zip from NVMe to the iPad's internal storage.

The transfer took 18 seconds, and the file is 5,240MB. So that's an average transfer speed of 290MB/s. Well beyond USB 2.0 480Mbit (60MB/s) theoretical maximum rate.

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 7:17 AM

1 reply

iPad mini 6 not connecting to Computers at USB 3 Speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.