Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume keys not working on Magic Keyboard

Hello all. I have a 2021 Magic Keyboard, British English, and am using it with a MacMini running Catalina 10.15.5.

The F10, F11, and F12 keys are not adjusting the volume (the F11 key withdraws all open panes). I've tried going into System Preferences > Keyboard, and trying to change things there, but with no luck. There's probably an obvious fix to this, but if so it is eluding me.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 4:39 PM

I just experienced the exact same problem, but with a USA magic keyboard purchased in November 2022, paired with a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" running Monterey. For no apparent reason, the F11 key started toggling a Mission Control function to hide all the open windows instead of decreasing audio volume. Searching the forum here shows that this problem is fairly common and affects various Mac models.

After trying PRAM and SMC reset along with Keyboard preferences adjustments without success, I discovered that all I had to do was to open System Preferences | Bluetooth, disconnect the keyboard by clicking the little (x), and reconnect the keyboard.

This does make sense as a remedy and I hope that people find it useful!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 4:39 PM in response to Adrian Dawson

I just experienced the exact same problem, but with a USA magic keyboard purchased in November 2022, paired with a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" running Monterey. For no apparent reason, the F11 key started toggling a Mission Control function to hide all the open windows instead of decreasing audio volume. Searching the forum here shows that this problem is fairly common and affects various Mac models.

After trying PRAM and SMC reset along with Keyboard preferences adjustments without success, I discovered that all I had to do was to open System Preferences | Bluetooth, disconnect the keyboard by clicking the little (x), and reconnect the keyboard.

This does make sense as a remedy and I hope that people find it useful!

Dec 8, 2022 9:33 AM in response to caveduck

The other thing to keep in mind, machines older than 4 years a reset of the SMC works more reliably than the PRAM as some machines depend on the PRAM (sometimes called the CMOS) battery or capacitor not being expired. Where the SMC is just the system manager controller chip. While both have slightly different functions, they often overlap. I'm glad they got it fixed. The machines with a capacitor are soldered on the logicboard. Only an authorized tech will know which is in need of fixing based on the model.

Volume keys not working on Magic Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.