Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trash bin automatically deleting trashed files immediately

Hello all, There is weird issue on my macbook pro (2018) after I upgraded to MacOS Ventura. When I am deleting any file, it goes to trash bin and immediately it deleted / disappears. I can't put it back, as I can't see the file as it automatically deleting permanently. Please help.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 10:46 AM

Ashish Pande wrote:

Hello all, There is weird issue on my macbook pro (2018) after I upgraded to MacOS Ventura. When I am deleting any file, it goes to trash bin and immediately it deleted / disappears. I can't put it back, as I can't see the file as it automatically deleting permanently. Please help.

Have you shut down and restarted more than once since you upgraded..(?)

if no insight or resolve —SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Ashish Pande

Ashish Pande wrote:

Have you shut down and restarted more than once since you upgraded..(?)

if no insight or resolve —SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Nov 20, 2022 9:30 PM in response to Ashish Pande

There are basically two reasons that cause Mac to delete files immediately without saving them to Trash:

1. Using Delete Immediately feature on Mac

2. Trash file permission error

Usually, if you press Option + Command + Delete keys or use the File > Delete Immediately option in the Finder menu, Mac will directly delete files by skipping the Trash. The best way to avoid this issue is to stop using the access. Instead, you should drag files to the Trash and then empty them from the Trash when you are 100% sure that you don't need these files again.

Further, to stop Mac trash from deleting files immediately, you can follow the below methods:

1. Always try to move files to the Trash instead of pressing Option + Command + Delete or "Delete Immediately" option on the quick access.

2. If the removed files were not saved to Mac Trash but deleted immediately due to a file permission issue, the Terminal command prompt is a good way to solve the problem.

3. Mac Trash has a similar feature as Windows Recycle Bin which can be set to remove items from the Trash after 30 days. To enable this feature, you can go to Finder > Preference > Advanced > Uncheck "Remove items from the Trash after 30 days". To prevent you delete the wrong files, you should also check "Show warning before emptying the Trash" in Finder Preference.

Hope it helps!

trash bin automatically deleting trashed files immediately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.