Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bin visible in Storage overview, even when Trash is emptied

My Macbook Air (2015) running macOS Catalina has a problem with the trashcan. The bin (far down right) is empty and opening it shows an empty bin, but according to "Storage" (Apple Icon top left → About This Mac → Storage) there is over 30 GB of trash still on my Mac. With the System Information application, I've found the name of the folder, but its contents are all locked, even though I am the sole user of my Macbook Air.

My question is how to delete this 'additional' trash from my Mac

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 2:27 PM

Did you maybe have an external drive attached that had something in Trash?

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 2:27 PM in response to kounfromfarfaraway

Did you maybe have an external drive attached that had something in Trash?

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Bin visible in Storage overview, even when Trash is emptied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.