Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 questions: 1: Mac running slow. 2: External SSD hub has fs root tree issues with Disk Utility

Question 1: My EtreCheck report indicates the Mac's performance is "good"
To me, it's been running slow. I use some AI photo- and video-editing software and while that would cause a high use of RAM, it seems slower than normal.
ISo I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Question 2: Disk Utility says that my external SSD Hub has a lot of fs root issues tree and a superblock problem. It's a 2-year-old Glyph Tech Hub with a 2TB internal drive.

Thanks,

Bob

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 10:20 AM

Nope. The license agreement says you alone are solely responsible for your data.

Backup now, or forever hold your peace - … - Apple Community

Backup your data, or find a data recovery service if it is inaccessible.

Don't reformat unless you know your data is safe on another medium in at least two distinct locations.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 20, 2022 5:58 PM in response to bebopple

I would be concerned if Disk Utility reports back any btree errors.

Backup now, or forever hold your peace - … - Apple Community

Once you are backed up, get a copy of http://www.binaryfruit.com/ DriveDX to verify the health of the drive.

You can repair the machine through single user mode after backing up:

command-S at startup. You may need a magnifying glass to read the screen.

At the first available prompt type the following by the enter key:

/sbin/fsck -fy

At the next available prompt type the following by the enter key:

/sbin/mount -uw

If errors appear repeat the last two commands until no errors appear. If you can't get rid of the errors after two tries, you might be able to fix it with Alsoft Disk Warrior, but only do so if DriveDX says the health is 100%.

If DriveDX does not say the health is 100%, replace the drive with the assistance of an authorized service center that services Macs.

Nov 21, 2022 6:01 AM in response to a brody

Thanks for this mr Brody.

I’ve owned Macs since the Lisa, which I took back because £1200 seemed too much then.

Understand all you said. There’s one more level of complexity here:

It was the container on my external ssd hub which got multiple fs tree root errors - not my Mac.

I run Catalina because it works on my major software Max/MSP, without breaking anything. However my new Topaz AI photo-video editing software runs pretty slow on my Mac (many days to apply a sharpen filter to 5 mins of video). So I installed Monterey on the hub, to run Topaz on the Mac.

What happened next is the complication: Admittedly in a rush, I couldn’t get my hub to create a container for Monterey, so I just installed it straight on to the drive (which contained 800 gigs of my finished videos). And when I looked, Monterey was there and working but.. my videos were gone and when I did a “command-i” on any file on my desktop I was getting 99 identical users (me).

So I downloaded all the most used recovery software and ran a test to see which one could get the files back. I hadn’t been writing to the drive at all. So it was just as I’d left it on the day I installed Monterey. And none of them could recover anything I recognized from the drive.

I called Apple Support 3 times and they had no suggestions, except wipe and reformat as the original (apfs).

I’ve been waiting to decide what to do - when I noticed the slowdown of the mac drive and then the messed up ssd hub.

Apologies for the long story. But this is my profession and I can’t afford to lose my old data, or my Mac’s functionality.

So aside from wipe and reformat, would you say that Apple has any responsibility here to recover my data because Monterey refused to install in their container - and instead wiped my drive’s data?

Best wishes,

Bob

2 questions: 1: Mac running slow. 2: External SSD hub has fs root tree issues with Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.